More questions about a cut roof

I've made good progress on the roof now. It's finished apart from working out what to do on the gable end. I've still not built up the gable walls or cut the timber lengths back here.

I'm now in two minds whether to make the tiny cable end a tiny hip instead. The hip would only be around 1 metre long, but would mean the roof line uses the same construction technique all the way around. Obviously I've done this arse about face as I'll now have to peel back some of my felt/battens.

Cheers for your help oldun/noseall!

Sponsored Links
When you refer to the gable end, you mean... the gable you haven't formed (yet)?

If you're going from hip to gable then will your LPA not want revised drawings (if planning permission was required)?

When you refer to the gable end, you mean... the gable you haven't formed (yet)?

Yep - the tiny roof end that's to the left in most of the photos. Only the 80cm wall part that juts out past the dog-leg in the house wall though, so it's either a gable, or a hip with a 1 metre hip.

Planning permission - good point - I hadn't thought of that actually.

The reason I've favouring the hip is that I found the opposite end okay to construct, and it'll allow me to use the same techniques when fitting the fascia/soffits. It will also allow me to tuck my drainpipe around the side as much as possible.

Gary

If the hip is likely to terminate at the corner of the dog leg then the lead flashing could get quite 'busy' at this junction.

Aesthetically, i think you may be better off keeping it as it is, i.e. gable.

Sponsored Links
how to cut 16% bridmouth in a6x2 rafter and do you need to cut out a b/m outh at the top as it goes on the wall upright

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back