Morning blindness

In Wyoming, in the Rockies (very high, temps sometimes -40) the locals all seemed to have electric sump heaters, running all night, frequently draped across the sidewalk.

We managed to start our rental truck without one, but it took quite a while for the engine temp to rise to "cold".

Sponsored Links
Pour hot water on the windscreen. I use a watering-can, filled from the hot tap.

Exactly what I do. The first time I did this though I stood on the driver's side and was treated to a lovely wave of warm water all down my front as the automatic wipers came on!

I've since disabled any automatic wipers and lights.

Has anybody tried a portable car heater demister?

Might be worth a try - turn on before scraping ice etc. and maybe it will clear the windows faster than the car fans.

Has anybody tried a portable car heater demister?

Might be worth a try - turn on before scraping ice etc. and maybe it will clear the windows faster than the car fans.
Most if not all of those reviews are fake, the poor English is the giveaway which highlights the Chinese seller. Amazon is becoming rife with really rubbish stuff with fake reviews from Chinese sellers with stock sent from the UK.

Sponsored Links
I did wonder that - funny that there are 2 identical products sold by different people, one with 0 star reviews, the other with 5 star reviews!

I always look for products with real reviews.

fails the review site spectacularly!

Are they suggesting that this might not be a real review!?!?

amazon review.png

Hot water on windscreen and demister bags (microwave to recharge)

It would be interesting to know the possible routine each frosty morning.
With a demisting arrangement on the windscreen shelf would it be to turn on (say) 5 mins before use, with the engine running.
If using without a running engine, what about battery run-down if only followed by a short journey afterwards?

I've always found that wiping the condensation with a sponge is much quicker than just waiting for it to evaporate.

If it's too thick or cold to clear with the blowers I use a squeegee, not bothered about a few drops of water dripped here or there, my car (golf) is not usually too bad with condensation that won't clear, my previous Megane though, good god an inch or two of water in each door side pocket after any rainfall (one of the Meganes faults was leaks around the mirrors) needed wipers Inside and if you got a really frosty morning you had to use a darn scraper on the inside, what a piece of junk!

Last edited:
I put both our cars in the garage. Job done.

Exactly what I do. The first time I did this though I stood on the driver's side and was treated to a lovely wave of warm water all down my front as the automatic wipers came on!

I've since disabled any automatic wipers and lights.
You really are a whaley.

Sponsored Links
Back