Car + Frost + First time = Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,
My questions here would help lots of other people too.

Yesterday's night was subzero and reached -3

Today I tried to go to work and saw my car covered with frost/fluffy snow (thin layer)

I scraped the frost from the windows but i was surprised to see the frost has built up on the window from INSIDE too :!:

So I scrapped it again and it all fell on the dashboard.

I later switched the fan and put it on the hot air and it all started to melt down.

The questions:
1) Is it normal to have frost on the window from inside?
2) I see people pour hot water on the windscreen, why is that and how does that help?
3) In normal cold days, when I drive for a long time, a kind of mist/condensation builds up on the windows from inside. I solve that by switching the fan on the cold air setting and that condensation would go away, but that will make the car cold inside too!! Any other solution?

Sponsored Links
It is not unusual to have a build up of frost on the inside of the window, this is due to condention.
Best solution is by using the fan heater, to defrost it.
I would never advice to use hot water on frosty/iced up windows, this could crack your windscreen.
De-icer and scraper.

There shouldn't be too much moisture build up inside the car, but the inside can get wet due to snowy boots, etc.
Keep a dry lint free cloth nearby, and wipe the screen dry when moisture forms.
Keep the fan on position 1.
Keep the heater on hot, and directed at the screen.
Ensure the heater is set to bring in air from the outside, and not on the recirculating setting (not all cars have this).
Tip of the week - pull the wiper blades off a frozen screen - never switch them on if they are frozen to it. That goes for the rear one too. :idea:
John :)

and a tip for next week,

never try to take down the windows without de-icing them 1st,as it can break the runners/cable and motor.

Sponsored Links
My car has frameless doors, and ice on the inside, is normal. So if this prompts you to post, as a surprising act, then you really don't need to be driving.

It's like saying I went outside, and my breath turned into condensation.

You are a statistic waiting to happen. Get a life.

Ice on the inside of a car is NOT normal, if you think it is then you are a statistic yourself.

There is excess moisture in the car caused by a leak, recirculating heater controls, snow/ice on your feet left during the night.

Put the heater on full blast and open your windows slightly next time you drive, this will let any condenate out, also run your A/C with a slight warmth.

My car has frameless doors, and ice on the inside, is normal. So if this prompts you to post, as a surprising act, then you really don't need to be driving.

It's like saying I went outside, and my breath turned into condensation.

You are a statistic waiting to happen. Get a life.

Ice on the inside of a car is NOT normal, if you think it is then you are a statistic yourself.

There is excess moisture in the car caused by a leak, recirculating heater controls, snow/ice on your feet left during the night.

Put the heater on full blast and open your windows slightly next time you drive, this will let any condenate out, also run your A/C with a slight warmth.

1st for someone to be surprised that ice has formed inside a car window, is unbelievable, a window might not have been shut properly, 2nd, does anyone know what a frameless car door is? It's a car that the door doesn't have a frame to seal to, or a convertible, so the window to rubber seal of the door frame is the only seal against weather. And they always have ice on the inside windows in the winter.

To express surprise is astonishing, not attacking, shows a lack of people with frameless doors on here, why state that I'm attacking or angry? Buy a car with frameless windows, or a convertible, then love the ice on the inside of the windscreen! I used a squidgee to remove the ice from the inside of the windscreen. A frameless door always caused forever misting up. Buy a proper car!

So, a comment such as 'you are a statistic waiting to happen. Get a life'
is a perfectly acceptable way of talking to someone you don't know, is it? :confused:

is a perfectly acceptable way of talking to someone you don't know, is it? :confused:

For someone to be surprised, at a time of life when they are able to drive, but don't realise that ice can form on glass inside a car, I find surprising. If people able to drive a car, aren't aware of ice, then I certainly wouldn't want them to be driving in the opposite direction to me.

So yes, someone that isn't aware that ice forms inside cars, is indeed a statistic waiting to happen. They will die, due to basic knowledge of life unavailable to them.

'Oh I went in the sun, and now my skin hurts'

'Oh I crossed the road without looking and now I'm "

Basic skills learned from birth. How to critisize? How can you defend stupidity?

When I was young, a long time ago now, I remember ice on the inside of my bedroom windows, that was due to having no heating in the bedrooms and condesation from breathing. No leaks or wet boots there. If there is any moisture in the air when the temperature drops it is going to freeze at the coldest point.

Here here. Politeness,courtesy and respect is undervalued and it costs nothing. It's a two way process.

We need to help our fellow man or woman especially with the dreadful weather!

I'd check the area between the bonnet and windscreen, lift the bonnet, there is probably a grill there from this area the heater will draw air into the vehicle, if there is a build up of leaves and dirt this can hold moisture which is drawn into the car and deposited on the windscreen. Worse case senario this area should have drainage holes which can become clogged leading to the whole tray filling with water and running into the interior through the heating system.

and a tip for next week,

never try to take down the windows without de-icing them 1st,as it can break the runners/cable and motor.

OH WHY DIDNT I FOLLOW MY OWN BLOODY ADVICE,went out this morning,snow and ice.cleared what i could started my drive to work,bit of heat getting into the car,pressed button drivers side window glass stayed where it was but the runners went down,ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH
SO NOW IVE GOT TO TAKE THE DOOR CARD OFF TO REATTACH THE RUNNERS TO THE GLASS,oh wot joy.

Here here. Politeness,courtesy and respect is undervalued and it costs nothing. It's a two way process.

We need to help our fellow man or woman especially with the dreadful weather!

Therefore I apologise for my strongly worded comments. My car is stored atm, and I tried to access it, but the doors are welded shut, due to the rubber solidifying around the glass, so the door opens a little, but the glass is frozen to the door frame, and if forced, would either smash the window, or pull the window from the runner, as above. So had to climb in through the boot.

I bought a drill once, and received a free heatgun, so thought it a good idea to repaint the house window frames, so heatgun switched on to remove old paint, window cracked, job aborted. Pretty much sums up most DIY jobs that I do.

Sponsored Links
Back