2001 BMW 320i -condensation inside car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
i have had this car for the past 8 years with no major issues. been a great car so far.
however i have recently noticed that it has started to have condensation inside the car and i have to wipe that dry from the inside to enable me drive the car from cold start.
this was never the case so something has obviously changed. i have checked the doors and inside but cant find any obvious signs of leaks.

can anyone help with some information on this?

thank you

Sponsored Links
could be a leak on a window, or a rusted wheel arch? feel all around the carpets for damp. i had a car where the heater matrix was leaking IIRC. im no expert BTW, just guessing :LOL:

thanks . i guess i have to check again. with the cold weather , its quite difficult to determine if, the carpet is wet or not as its all cold... i will have to keep checking. i will also check inside the rims.

you might have to pull up the door seals and check under the carpet because theyre pretty heavy duty and if the leak is from underneath you wont feel it

Sponsored Links
check the boot too actually, i had a faulty spolier that used to let water in

Just check at the bottom of the door cards, in case water is running down the inside of the door and over the inner sill....kitchen paper is useful here!
John :)

Last one i looked at was leaking from the front door membranes, lifting the passenger side carpet up revealed about 2 inches of water!
Lots of sound deadening under the carpets which soaks up the water so it may not be apparent on touching the carpets.

as above blocked sunroof drain,

it is also quite common to sometimes leak through the cabin filter if it hasnt sealed properly when last changed.

could also be a weep from your heater matrix,

check all the easy things first.

Also E46 BMW's can suffer from boot floors cracking. Best check that too. :LOL:

I have the same problem, I think it's where the car has recently had a full valet and not had time to properly dry so there is still moisture in the car. It also does not help that the car is warm during the day, and when the temperature drops rapidly, there is a problem.

Sponsored Links
Back