Mortar instead of Plaster possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm currently renovating a bathroom and have removed some tiles from around the bath. A small patch of plaster has come off, revealing the bricks. Its about 40cm square.

Now to cover this, do i have to use plaster or could i use a sand and cement mortar mix instead?

Sponsored Links
Hi Naz,
I would firstly say, how deep is the coating in the area to be patched? That might be useful info, additionally, can you see the base construction material ( Brick, block, timber lathes, )that had been plastered/rendered? depending on that factor can be the suitability of repair material.

Please advise so I can give a respectable answer.

Hi Rebait

The depth of the plaster looks about 10-12mm

The underlying material is standard bricks.

This area will likely have a shower installed so do i need to consider any waterproofing additive in the mortar or plaster mix?

Sponsored Links
Rather than use conventional sannd/cement render which you will have to wait for it to dry (could be up to 4 weeks if back to brick) before you tile, use either a quick set render or powder cement tile adhesive which you can tile over the next day; you will need to use powder adhesive anyway if your using large format tiles, tub ready-mix is not suitable. Do not use gypsum base plaster to fill out, it’s not suitable as a tile base.

Before you go too far with your project, I would advise you read the Tiling Form sticky & have a good read through the archive posts, it may prevent you making some common & potentially expensive mistakes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back