Mortar joint blades for reciprocating saw.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut lots of bricks out of my house. I normally chain drill the joints to get them out but the joints are very thin and the drill bit (5mm) is chipping the faces of the bricks (which I need to reuse). Can anyone recommend a good effective blade for my recip saw? The mortar is hard black stuff 1930's.
IMG_20191217_095523721.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would use an angle grinder to remove pointing first, and use an old handsaw on beds and with a little tapping to and fro you should free them.

Mortar rake will be too wide for those beds, once you remove sand and cement pointing the original mortar will be soft, a handsaw will cut through easily or try an old blade on recip saw.

Sponsored Links
The tongue which locates a recip saw blade in the chuck of the saw is too thin to take the amount of pressure you will impose on it trying to saw a hard material so the blades will tend to snap at the root (I break enough blades sawing heavy joists and beams - and they are nowhere near as hard). Additionally it isn't a good idea to use a recip saw unless the tip of the blade can move freely - too many trapped cuts (where the tip of the blade is inside the material) tends to knacker the saw chuck over time

I've ordered a couple of fancy DeWalt DT2335 TC brick cutting blades so I'll see how it goes with those with the pointing ground out first.
Mortar rake won't fit in, even the thinnest one in my Irwin set.
I'm cutting out the bricks to fit steels for my rear extension knock-throughs, the extension is only half built but the steels for the first floor sit in the webs of the knock-through steels so they need to go in now, but the walls need to remain more or less in place for the winter so it's 3m wide slots. Ordinarily I'd just bash the bricks out but I desperately need to salvage them to reuse in the front extension to match the existing.
I agree about the tongue end of recip blades being a bit weak, it's a small bit of steel for a foot long blade.

So after everyone advised you NOT to use the reciprocating saw and to use a grinder instead, your going to use blades designed for cutting bricks - not removing mortar...

Why did you ask in the first place?

Please post again once finished to either let us know how lucky you were in completing the task this way or what the damage is.

I have a demolition saw. it looks like a large carpenter's saw but has big TCT teeth and will cut bricks or mortar. It is very handy for cutting along a mortar line.

I see from ebay that there are blades of similar construction offered for reciprocating saws.

The blade's for bricks, blocks and (hopefully, but the spec is a bit brief) etc. I will use a grinder to remove the pointing but it will only go so deep.
I don't believe anyone has actually advised not to use a reciprocating saw but have suggested the preferred solution of a mortar rake which unfortunately is too big for the joints (and I've used a used a Toolstation one before - jammed between two Accrington's and snapped after 5 minutes - probably ok for softy bricks).
I believe I asked in the first place for blade recommendations, although I appreciate workable alternative suggestions for something that will cut 2-5mm mortar joints all the way through without damaging the brick face.

It now appears that someone has had some success with a similar TCT blade so I'll see how I get on and report back.

I know the type of blade you are talking about. AFAIK they are designed for cutting blockwork (which is a lot softer than mortar) and Poroton "brick" (I.e that horrible Spanish stuff which is hard but brittle, has loads of air holes on it but minimal aggregate content). I didn't think they were suitable for use on a material such as solid English brick and you may well find that the teeth wear and round over rapidly. Hence why I could not recommend

as Charlie George,
a small angle grinder with a thin blade in it - even a thin metal working blade will do the trick for a few beds and perps.
an old back saw could then be slipped into the slots.
but first remove those old cable clips.

Blade tried, works really well. I don't know whether I can say the same about my first attempt at a YouTube video!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back