Mortar mix for Stone Jambs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right I belive they are called stone jambs?

The stone columns that surround a window. I have one that needs a bit of repointing so I have decided to do it myself . Probably 1.5m of pointing that I need to fill in.

So it will be my first attempt at doing this - what mortar mix should I use?

I have read 3:1 or 4:1 or even 6:1, so which one is best?

Do I need lyme or add fairy liquid?

Sponsored Links
If it is the joint between the stone and the wood then a cement based filling is unlikely to be successful. It will depend how much filling needs doing and whether it can be done in a single hit. Preventing the mortar drying out too quickly (and failing) may also be a challenge.

If it is the joint between the stone and the wood then a cement based filling is unlikely to be successful. It will depend how much filling needs doing and whether it can be done in a single hit. Preventing the mortar drying out too quickly (and failing) may also be a challenge.

Its between the stone jamb and brickwork - the window is fine.

Its between the stone jamb and brickwork - the window is fine.
If you imagine that when originally built, the brickwork would have been daubed up with a mortar joint and the stone pressed into place. That large body of mortar would have had the capability to stay damp long enough for the mortar to gain max strength.

Pointing in small bits afterwards is not the same nor will it have the same result unless you can keep the surfaces damp, to allow the mortar to cure and adhere. Is there a large access point for the mortar to be applied? Can it be compressed once it is in place? Can the surfaces be dampened without causing mortar to be smudged everywhere?

Sponsored Links
quoins-window-surround.jpg

The vertical stone column around the window. The vertical column where it meets the bricks. So a vertical line of mortar - scrape out old mortar and replace with new mortar.

For future references what are they called. As I am wrong calling them window jambs?

quoins-window-surround.jpg

For future references what are they called. As I am wrong calling them window jambs?
You are close. The window jamb is part of the window. The masonry is the window opening jamb.
The bit showing at the front is the outer reveal, and the bit showing inside is the inner reveal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back