Mortar mix.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Following on from a previous question as we will have a 6'' gap either side of a 5Kw multifuel stove I am planning on finishing the builders opening with engineering bricks as opposed to fire bricks as previously advised.
Should I use fire cement for this and pack down behind the bricks as I build up with normal mortar to eliminate any air pockets.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Anyone?
Fire cement for the engineering bricks and pack down behind them and the builders opening with 5x1 sand and cement or 4x1x1 sand, lime and cement or some other mix using vermiculite?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Around my stove doesn't get that hot to worry. I lined mine with hardiebacker and drywall adhesive. Just make sure you follow the stove manuf instructions on clearances to non combustibles.

Graeme

Sponsored Links
If your leaving a brick finish the standard bricks and mortar will be fine. I've had ours builders opening rendered and there is no problem with cracking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back