Mortar thickness with smaller blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some blocks for a garage and noticed that the blocks are approx 435x215x95. The spec is 440x215x100, so the height is spot on but other dimensions are a bit short. Should I do 15mm perps or is that bad practice? To complicate things a bit further I also have some aerated blocks (440x215x100) and on wall will have aerated blocks on one side and these denser blocks on the other side. I'm also doing 450mm of blocks one side of the door, so with a 10mm perp it would be difficult to line up with the other side.

I suspect it would make things easier if the perps lined up, although it's probably only the beds that need to line up (for wall ties). As it's a garage the blockwork will always be visible but I don't think large perps would look bad if they're consistent.

Sponsored Links
Yeah just adjust the perps accordingly to fit whatever your wall length is, 15mm is still ok but try and get them all even rather than some small ones then some massive ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back