Mortice latch for a thin door

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a door into the eaves which is only 1400 x 710 x 27 mm but matches the full size door. I'd like to match door furniture and give it a proper latch. But the door width makes fitting a standard mortice latch unlikely.

Is a narrow latch made or any suggestions how I can get a latch on the door.

Sponsored Links
We have a door into the eaves which is only 1400 x 710 x 27 mm but matches the full size door. I'd like to match door furniture and give it a proper latch. But the door width makes fitting a standard mortice latch unlikely.

Is a narrow latch made or any suggestions how I can get a latch on the door.

I take it you refer to door stile thickness when you say "width makes fitting a standard mortice latch unlikely".

What is the section size of door stile? and do you have a photo of the latch you are trying to match?

Sorry I've obviously not been clear enough.

I want to fit a standard tubular latch to the eaves door so I could fit matching door handles on the main room door and this eaves door.

The width of the door stile is sufficient to take a 64mm tubular latch, but the door stile thickness is only 27mm (including paint :) ).

My concern with a standard tubular latch was that there would be only 1 or 2 mm either side of the latch which would weaken the door too much. The eaves door opens into the room so a rim lock wont reall work.

So I wondered if there were any narrower latches that would still take standard door funiture, or any other ideas.

face mounted lock on the plain side assuming its a cupboard door

Sponsored Links
what is on the other side of the door? If it is just storage could you not add timber to the back face of the door style to increase its thickness.
Alternatively fit a couple of roller catches and use your matching lever handle as a pull handle?

Something that thin would probably have had a surface-mounted box latch fitted originally, or possibly a simple Suffolk latch or Ring latch fitted.. That's if they go that fancy, often it's just a simple hook and eye arrangement

Thanks for the ideas.
Yes door is into the roof eaves, so plain side of the door can be less attractive.

Rim lock is a possibility, but not really keen.

I might take Steve's suggestion and increase the stile thickness, though that means the stop is more complex.

Fit ball catch and your handles, will look right and still function.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back