mortice security rack bolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The knurled key won't turn the top rack bolt on my kitchen door.
Can't open the door, any suggestions please ?
[/b]

Sponsored Links
Is this the type?

dsb8225sml.jpg

Is the key worn?

Have you tried lifting the door slighty as the barrel bolt might resting on the latch plate, a flat chisel on the bottom and apply light pressure with your foot then try and turn the key at the same time.

Sponsored Links
The key seems OK, it still works with the bottom bolt.
I'll try what you suggest when I get home tonight.
Many thanks for your help.

Hi Masona, there was no gap under the door to place a chisel so I couldn't try it.
As far as I can see, although it's very difficult, the rack appears to have broken as it is very loose and springy ?
Do you have any other suggestions.
I think these rack bolts should be more robust in their design, they cause major problems and give no warninng when broken.

Hi Masona, there was no gap under the door to place a chisel so I couldn't try it.
Possibility the door dropping which make it difficult for locks to operate, is the door rubbing on the bottom? If not, should be able to find a very thin blade to force it up a little
As far as I can see, although it's very difficult, the rack appears to have broken as it is very loose and springy ?
Do you have any other suggestions.
Remove the keyhole plate cover and spray some WD40 in the keyhole and try again, Also I have done this with a small flat screwdriver forcing the teeth instead using the key to open it. I think what is happening as you turn the key, the key splindle is moving up therefore slipping above the cogs runner. Sometime you can get away with forcing the key splindle in an angle and turn it.

I think these rack bolts should be more robust in their design, they cause major problems and give no warninng when broken.
The problem is like most things and I'm guilty too we don't service and lubricant them on a regular basic and only noticed when it's faulty!

The biggest problem I have is not knowing what the mechanism looks like.
It's a Chubb bolt and key and I've tried pushing a screwdriver in but I'm not sure what technique to use.
Do you have a picture of the mechanism ?

buy yourself a new one (which you will want to put in once you have got the old one out) so you can familiarise yourself with how it works.

the key does two things:
when you push it in, it pushes aside a locking lever which springs up (or down) to block the teeth and prevent the bolt being pushed back with a thin implement

when you turn it, it pushes the rack sideways so the bolt moves in or out

as they can be fitted either way up, you can't always be sure which way the key has to turn. Try both ways Push the key upwards (or down) to help it engage the teeth.

if the key and the rack are worn, it may not engage the teeth well. Try a new key (you should get one when you buy your new bolt)

in the event that the locking catch can be pushed away from the rack, you can put a knife blade in the jamb of the door, and push the bolt back in, a bit at a time. Once you have got the door open, wind or pull the bolt out, undo the screws, and pull on the bolt end to pull the whole mechanism out (if you try to do it by levering on the square plate, the square plate will come off, leaving the bolt in place)

if that doesn't work, you can cut through the bolt, from the inside, with a padsaw or angle grinder. If you try to force it, you will damage your frame and/or door.

Thanks for all that John, lots of things for me to try. I'll probably end up sawing the bolt off in the door jamb, I should be able to get a saw in to do that.

Hi John, just to let you know I ended up sawing the bolt off with a padsaw.
When I removed the assembly I discovered that the spring and rack was detached from the bolt and therefore was inoperable.
Many thanks for your help it was most appreciated and to you Masona for the advice that you gave.

Had a similar problem. The rack had snapped in two so the key didn't engage the part of it still attached to the bolt.

Solution (after reading the tips above): insert the key to free the bolt, then gradually slide the bolt back into the door by pushing it with a screwdriver through the crack between door and frame. I made a small groove in the bolt by hitting it with a cold chisel and hammer to get purchase with the screwdriver. Eventualy the part of the rack still attached to the bolt made contact with the key and I was able to then unlock it the rest of the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back