Mortise and tenon substitute solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace my stair hand rails (pine to oak), but I do not want to go to the bother (and expense) of changing the upright posts (newel posts) as I intend to paint them. The existing hand rails are attached to the newel posts by mortise and tenon, the only way to get them out is to cut through at the intersections - but then I have a problem attaching the new rails to the posts - I can't use mortise and tenon as there is no room to manoeuvre the joints into position. So I guess I could use screws at an angle from underneath but I am not sure how secure this solution would be. Maybe I could somehow use a peg from underneath or perhaps there are some brackets available! Two of the longer handrails are horizon (on the landing) but I have another 5 shorter rails which are angled downwards along the turn of the stairs. I would be grateful for any advice please. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Surely you can dowel them.
Just pin the newels and hammer down the rail to mark the locations and then drill in large dowels.
Job done.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back