Pannelled haunched Mortise and tenon door panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently studying Carpentry/joinery at college level1. My issue is I'm in the process of making the panel of a door using haunches on tenons.

Yet everytime I cut the tennons on the top and bottom rails and than slide them into the mortises it is not a snug fit.

I'm not referring to the tenons going into the mortise but below where the two bottom ends meet, there is a gap.

I've spoke to my teacher, I've tried smoothing the haunches down, chiseling the inside of the mortises only to no avail. It is something that I am doing as it has happened more than once.

p.s I know this is a 'rudimentary'issue but would really help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
//media.diynot.com/199000_198202_55840_55038311_thumb.jpg

Here is a view of a haunched mortice all chopped. This is a through mortice not a blind one, meaning the tenon goes all the way through from the stiles inner face to it's outer face. Now if the tenon was a bit longer than the stile width there is no problem, the tenons haunch portion must measure the same depth as the haunch portion of the mortice.
On the other hand, if it's a blind mortice (the tenon does not go all the way through the stiles mortice) then the length of both the haunch and the tenon must be no longer than the mortice, indeed the tenon should be approx 2mm less than the depth of the mortice, the haunch should be just less than the haunch pocket in the stile.

Hope this helps...pinenot

i assume they are hand morticed as you never alter a machined mortice

did you mark them from a rod ??
if so how thick are your lines and are you marking from the exact same point rather than the line edge
is your timber accurate to the rod

Yes, I made sure the both the hauches were the same depths (10cm) it just so happened i had the same issue.

I think it maybe is a case of practice makes perfect than a practical problem. But it is so frustrating because my teacher couldnt understand either. Could it of have been badly cut mortises you think?

Sponsored Links
to big-all

yes they were machined mortises, which were modified manually however upon instruction from my teacher. Once he saw it was not a snug fit he told me maybe to shave mortise sides a bit. (blame him lol)

but the pointis even before i touched it there was not a snug fit.

you would tinker with the bottom but not the sides as they will be parrallel and flat

Ok thanks alot for the taking the time to answer, I'm in on monday so I'm should be able to hone my skills.

cheers :D

every days a learning day eh,
im very surprised you teacher couldnt spot the problem then make you suss it out.rather then being dismissive?as it is rather difficult for us to offer advice about it with out seeing it in our hands.
still at least 1 good thing ive already come to the conclusion of you is........
your willing to ask questions,and in doing so you will not only learn but will gain respect from those around you.
which in my eyes is a hell of a lot better then trying to bluff your way and being big headed.
when i 1st went on site the amount of young peeps who already had attitude problems were basically left alone and not give any guidance those who asked for help GOT IT.

good luck in your studies what are your long term plans.

Thanks again for you kind words and advice much appreciated.

p.s To be honest the teacher is not usually dismissive but he is constantly running around the workshop because people are calling for him every minute. But hey, as you said, everydaus a learning opportunity!:)

A pic would be nice... Speaks a thousand words to us, blessed with the dark art of wood butchery. ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back