mortise lock stuck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

My lock in by back door has given up the ghost and with the key cannot open so basically its continually locked. One of those that's been there now for over year as I used the patio doors instead. No more laziness need to get sorted. Is there any easy way of getting it open? Its a standard 3 lever mortise lock. Have taken the outer cover off and can see the hole where the lever goes and the key hole. Do I have to get a locksmith in? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Can U use a thin cutting disc in an angle grinder.
That would be my first choice.
JonB

if it is just a 3 lever lock it probably won't have rolling pins in the bolt.

from the inside of the room you should be able to see the lock bolt in the gap between door and frame.

you can cut this with a pad saw. it is a lot less likely to kick back and hit you in the face than a grinder.

you might also consider tapping the pins out of the hinges (you may need to grind or file the tops off if they are peened over)

p.s. if the key feels as if it is operating the levers but not moving the bolt, try levering the bolt back with a thin screwdriver against it at the same time as you turn the key. The levers will be fully lifted when the key is half turned (bit pointing upwards)

Sponsored Links
Matter of weighing up the cost of your time and repair materials (after the grinder/saw have given the good news to the frame and door, or new hinges and repairs to the surrounding area) - against £40(ish) to get a local lockie out to open it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back