Broken Mortise Lock - Door Locked

I think finding a local locksmith is probably your best bet. Should be less than £ 100 to include a quality british standard five lever replacement lock.
As you hint that your DIY skills are perhaps not great I can see you spending over that amount in tools, parts, time and effort.
Ask friends, workmates and relatives for a recommendation.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Sponsored Links
that sounds like a winner DC77.
pity there isn't a trusted list somewhere of recommended tradesmen :)
thanks again everyone.

i called a locksmith my brother had used a couple of times, a local father and son business. however, the father was on holiday and the son said he would rather not tackle a 5 lever lock but he could recommend another locksmith.
i phoned him, agreed a price and arranged for him to come after lunch. he arrived early, after ringing to ask if that would be ok. he drilled out the old mechanism (it clearly took longer than he expected as the lock was jammed) and replaced the lock with a good quality bsi one.

really excellent service from a local tradesman!.

did someone ask how much i paid for this great service?
£35 call out charge
plus
another £25 for the new lock - fitted!

i just wish i was allowed to post his details here to better thank him

Nice to hear, thank you for letting us know the end of the story.
Happy locksmith, a good job done and a happy customer appreciative of the skill and service provided.
Nothing better, if only all of life was like that.
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

Sponsored Links
I have had trobble openig peoples doors where the timber has moved / swollen etc, sometimes it is also the weight of the door that causes problems, can you lift / push /pull the door just enough to take weight off lock?

(i mean only a tiny bit by holding the handle, its worth a try)
I have just used this method to open a locked door at my hotel.
I had tried two keys plus a master key with no joy.
I read Breezer's reply; so, lifted the door by the handle & the key turned effortlessly. Just had to re-adjust the plate where the latch goes into, re-tighten the hinges & door is working fine.
This has saved me time & money. Thanks :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back