Mortise lock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just moved into a new place with a wooden back door and a mortise lock. I've just noticed that the door can be locked from the outside with no issue but when it is locked from the inside the key cannot be removed from the lock. I have tried wd40 to loosen it but it doesn't work.

It's not a major problem but the house has an enclosed walkway from the back door that is also accessible from both gardens and has two rooms that lead off it. All four of these other rooms have the same locks using the same key but they operate in the opposite sense to the back door- they can be locked ok from the inside but the key is trapped when used outside.

I'd like to put a washing machine in one of the rooms but only if I could lock the doors.

Is this repairable or should I buy replacement locks?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Sponsored Links
show us a photo of the lock and key. You may have to remove the lock from the door.

when you say mortice lock I am thinking of a lever lock, not a cylinder lock. Cylinder locks will sometimes trap a key but I have never known a lever lock do it, although sometimes if the keyhole is misaligned it can be difficult.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539.

Thanks for that - now that I think of it I'm not sure what a mortice lock is...

I've attached a photo of the lock on the back door with the key in it - I only noticed when the camera flashed that the lock has union written on it.

Also it might be worthwhile pointing out that the key remains trapped if you try to lock the door whilst the door is open, so I don't think this has anything to do with alignment - though I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Dan

that's not a mortice lock.

it's a poor-quality rimlock.

I could probably open it with the key to my mum's shed. I could also force it with a kick.

It is not suitable for use as a lock on a house.

take it off, throw it away or use it on your shed. If you like, you can open the case and see why it jams.

the key will also work if you put it in upside down. Try!

Sponsored Links
should I buy replacement locks?
If I moved that's the first thing I would do, replace all the locks with new set of keys, It's not knowing who still got the keys to your property, don't trust anyone!

Just seen John's post, best to get good quality locks

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to get myself 5 locks with the same key and will just replace them all at once.

Cheers

Dan

for external doors to your house, your insurance co will (almost certainly) require british standard locks, unless you have an inferior lock plus a mortice rackbolt top and bottom, locked when the house is empty and at night.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back