mosiac parquet panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am planning on laying a mosaic parquet (merbau) floor on top of an existing T&G chipboard floor. The mosiac panels are the usual felt backed squares.
So far, the advice I have been given is to fix 6mm ply (screw fixing) to the chipboard, then glue down the mosiac panels.
Is this the best method?
And could anyone recommend the best adhesive to use (i have read advice about using two coats of Pva on the plywood, but is this really required?)

Also, the mosiac panels are unfinished, we don't want a varnished look, but would prefer a oil or waxed finish. Is OSMO WOOD WAX a good option?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

DOUG

Sponsored Links
6mm ply is a bit thin, if the existing floorboards are not very even. (ply will still move and uplift the mosaic).
Normal parquet adhesive is fine (like F.Ball, Lecol etc)
HardWaxOil is a very nice finish, only with tropical woods you have to be aware the wood is a bit 'oily' of itself and won't absorb the HWO as easy as Oak would. Apply a thin layer of HWO, buff it out to remove excess HWO and let it dry properly. Apply the second layer WITHIN 36 hours otherwise you have to resand the floor again.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back