Moss on flat garage roof: good or bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does moss growing on a felt roof help protect the roof from sunlight damage, or does it damage the roof itself?

If the latter, what's the best way to remove?

Pix available if you click my name for roof album.

Sponsored Links
Does moss growing on a felt roof help protect the roof from sunlight damage, or does it damage the roof itself?

If the latter, what's the best way to remove?

Pix available if you click my name for roof album.
Just leave it.You start walking around on there chances are you will end damaging the roof.Only takes you to stand on sharp chipping to punture the felf.

If you try and remove the moss you will remove the stone chippings that are protecting the felt from UV light.

If the felt is old as the previous chap said it will probably be blistered and will crack when walked on.

The moss does help to absorb UV and help maintain the temperature of the felt roof.

Why do we still use felt? its a nightmare! :!:

We have been using felt for what seems a like 100 years!! Why people dont move on to using the latest tech like EDPM rubber I dont know. Its like using straw and mud to still build our houses!

Sponsored Links
I Like it! :LOL:

EPDM Rubber is perfect for garages and flat roofs etc. They sell more EPDM in the US than they do Felt. It makes sense as it lasts 5 times longer and looks better!

Its no wonder Flat roofs have a bad name! :mad: Go EPDM Spread the love!

We have been using felt for what seems a like 100 years!! Why people dont move on to using the latest tech like EDPM rubber I dont know. Its like using straw and mud to still build our houses!

Not so,i use epdm if need be BUT 90+% of flat roofing i do is with high performance t/o sbs un/min.Its far from straw and mud.Looks far better than epdm and will last a hell of a long time.One of the main reasons felt roofs have a bad name is the jokers laying it=Builders come felters,slaters that think they can felt,DIYers having ago.

I have a shed about 5 metres x 2, what would it cost (DIY) to felt it, or to rubber it?

which would be more suitable?

I Like it! :LOL:

EPDM Rubber is perfect for garages and flat roofs etc. They sell more EPDM in the US than they do Felt. It makes sense as it lasts 5 times longer and looks better!

Its no wonder Flat roofs have a bad name! :mad: Go EPDM Spread the love!

We Know why you like rubber ;) What I would like to know - seriously - is the price per M.square for Rubber ( preferably Fleece back ) v. High quality felt like Cumbrian Roofer uses. I don`t want to call out a roofer cuz I`m not going to get it done yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back