Removing moss from a roof

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello all,

Any tips or advice on the best way to remove moss from a roof without causing damage? Use a Kärcher?

Ray K

Sponsored Links
Noooooooooooo!

Do not jet wash your roof. You will most likely damage it permanently.

It will take off the outer "hard" layer of the tile. By damaging this you will probably shorten the tiles life considerably. It will be more susceptible to absorbing moisture and then blowing out (shaling) in cold freezing conditions. You will probably then need to paint them to protect them and that will need doing every year or so and will look terrible.

In my opinion, do not trust any companies who recommend jet washing or let them any where near your roof. Yes it maybe cheap and easy but it is a cowboy roof cleaning method. The amount and pressure of water also has the risk of causing the roof to leak.

The best way is to treat the roof with an appropriate moss cleaning solution (not too strong in terms of acidity i.e something made for roof tiles) using a low pressure spray (watering can pressure). And let the moss decay and get washed away in the weather.

But, whatever you do, do not jet wash them. If you do not believe me, this is what the tile manufactures say:

Marley Eternit
Can I clean or jet wash my roof?

The use of high powered jet washes is not recommended as it can damage the surface of the slate or tile, thus reducing its expected life considerably.

They also warn against manually scraping it off with a scraper.[/i]

If you have concrete roof tiles, I personally wouldn't use acid.
Just a stiff brush and plenty of clear water (as above, jet wash = big no).
But why bother? It'll be back within a few months and however you clean the roof, clambering over the tiles will damage them.

But, whatever you do, do not jet wash them. If you do not believe me, this is what the tile manufactures say:

Ok, ok ... I hear you, no power hosing. I will investigate moss remover, but its not a thin layer of moss evenly spread - its great clumps of moss, they should lift easily enough but clearly am afraid to crack the tiles. Roof is old fashioned slate.

Ray K

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Is that your actual roof?

With it being a bungalow makes it a lot easier to access at least. Slates can be damaged easily so you are right not to climb all over it. In my mind you have two options.

Pay a roofer with the correct equipment and experience to go up and clean off the clumps with a brush and water.

Or

Invest in a decent long reach brush (like the window cleaner ones but with bit harder bristles) and scrub them from ground level or a ladder/platform. You could even get ones that squirt water from the brush end.

Water should do it, or you could use some ph neutral tile cleaner. I do not know how acidic moss cleaner is...to be honest it doesn't look that big of a moss problem so just water and scrub lightly with a brush.

Is that your actual roof?

Yup, that is the actual root, I will own in about a week.

Invest in a decent long reach brush (like the window cleaner ones but with bit harder bristles) and scrub them from ground level or a ladder/platform. You could even get ones that squirt water from the brush end.

DIY shop ?[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back