Moss on Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi Everyone
HNY to you all.

I have a quite a bit of moss on my roof and find them falling off every now and then. i can see clearly that its a lot on the roof.
  • I live in Essex and wondering on cost for having the roof cleaned/moss removed for a 4 bed house
  • should i have the moss only removed or have the roof jet washed as well?. am worried jet washing might break tiles and lead to leaking. house built in 1999 so approximately 21years old tiles.
  • is it a bad idea to jet wash roof?
  • is it imperative that the moss is removed? will it cause damage to roofing please?
  • or is it going to just lead to damage and leaking up there and not worth the risk?
  • roof is tiles by the way
any advise welcome

thank you all and wishing everyone good health in 2021. we all need it after 2020 ha ha:D

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
thanks Wayners but am definitely not doing this a diy. i do a fair bit of diy but am not up for heights lol. thanks though

You shoot from ground... Not sure of range though. Might go look now on YouTube.

Best get someone in then. They can treat to stop more moss growing

Sponsored Links
Think most of the pro roofers are of the general opinion that moss is not really too much of a problem for roofs.

However it can get to be an issue if it starts blocking gutters etc.

I recently removed the moss from my roof myself (more for cosmetic reasons) using a long reach extension pole and a home made scraper to scrape off the majority of the moss then i treated it with a biocide which kills off any bits i didn't get and should prevent regrowth for a few years.

Have looked in to pressure washing but most say its too aggressive an can damage the tiles to i went for the soft wash and biocide treatment option. The results arent instant compared to pressure washing but are less damaging to the roof.

check out this fella, i looked at a few of his vids then did it myself

check out this fella, i looked at a few of his vids then did it myself
thanks mate. interesting to see the video. i will see if this guy is anywhere near me and get a quote.

i would definately have done a DIY if it my house was a bangalow but its a one storey house so i will be shouting for help and save me if i end up on the roof lol:LOL:

Don't waste your money is my opinion. The moss coming off your roof is just birds looking for grubs in winter.

i would definately have done a DIY if it my house was a bangalow but its a one storey house so i will be shouting for help and save me if i end up on the roof lol:LOL:

Same here!

I had some scaffolding up for another job so decided to make the most of it while i had access.

Dry brush off gently only. Rough brushing or jet washing will wreak the tile surface, making moss return faster and thicker

Search the forum for posts mentioning a solution with a copper strip at ridge level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back