bleaching roof moss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the tiles on my garage roof have a fair amount of moss growing on them which id like to remove before it gets to cause a problem with leaks etc...

i decided against pressure washing due to the potential damage that can be done to the tiles.

I read online that a simple 50/50 mix of water and bleach can be applied to the roof which kills the moss, making it easy to manually scrape/brush off after a week or two.

Ive done this using regular household bleah on a small test area of 3 tiles and it seems to work pretty well, (the moss turned yellow after a few hours and was easily removed with a brush)

The only question i have is regarding the use of bleach and any potential damage that it might do to the tiles?
Anyone know if might risk damaging the tiles using bleach on them?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Moss never causes leaks, and is never a problem.

Where ever you read the bleach story, will they give you a guarantee that after you risk your neck and waste your time, it will work?

Moss never causes leaks, and is never a problem.

Where ever you read the bleach story, will they give you a guarantee that after you risk your neck and waste your time, it will work?

let's say i want to remove the moss anyway even if the benefits are purely cosmetic... I just want to find out if using bleach has potential to damage the roof tiles?

If yes then i can resort to manual removal using the brush/plastic scraper minus the bleach?

Bleach won't affect the tiles structurally, but will potentially cause patches of clean arrears and less clean areas unless you wash and rinse the whole roof thoroughly - which being a roof would be difficult.

And then, the moss and litchen will just start to re-grow within weeks.

Search past posts on here about copper wire.

Sponsored Links
Bleach won't affect the tiles structurally, but will potentially cause patches of clean arrears and less clean areas unless you wash and rinse the whole roof thoroughly - which being a roof would be difficult.

And then, the moss and litchen will just start to re-grow within weeks.

Search past posts on here about copper wire.

cheers.
Yes i had read up about using copper wire/strip every few rows of tiles to reduce the rate of regrowth once cleared.

May do something like this once ive cleared the area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back