Moss on Roof

Well i've just watched two builders cleaning the roof opposite,
they basically scrapped any big bits off moss with a scraper then brushed the whole roof with a stiff brush. Now when it rains the roof appears to dry out much faster than the house next door, i imagine this is better in as much as the freezing action of water on the roof may be lesser in winter and the amount of moss accumulaiting in the gutters may be less

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the comments.
I must say I am still conflicted, even despite reading the telegraph guys comments

To my mind, pseudo-scientifically it would seem as if moss cannot be good for a roof-it is so wet when taken off that it surely must make it harder for a roof to dry out and also encourage freezing and cracking of tiles

My roofer who seems a decent cove has quoted me a price of 500 quid to scrape all the moss off with a wire brush

This actually seems quite a fair price I reckon IF THE JOB NEEDS DOING !!
Not such a great price if there is no need to do it :LOL:

The other thing is that the roof actually looks pretty scruffy mainly because the moss is piecemeal-if it were an old english county manor and was evenly spread then it may look more attractive

I am therefore still pretty conflicted about the need to do it :oops:

philipdayton said:
Mineral = Organic, ie. not man made :rolleyes:

Erm. Minerals can either be of organic origin (e.g. coal) or of inorganic origin (e.g. asbestos). It's got nothing to do with whether they're man-made or not!

Sponsored Links
I sprayed with jeyes fluid , kills in a few weeks, clean gutter to avoid dead moss blocking.

Hi, leave it be. The moss is not doin your roof any harm, well it's very unlikely. You must live in a clean air environment. Lichen and I think moss cannot grow in poor air. Hope that helps. Just one thought though. If you ever decide to go on your roof, especially in or after wet weather, even heavy fog or mist, be very careful. Moss and lichen are like ICE when wet.

MOSS GROWTH ON ROOFS HAS REACHED UNPRECEDENTED LEVELS IN MANY PARTS OF THE UK IT CREATES A DULL AND DIRTY APPEARANCE WHICH IS UNSIGHTLY,AND IT CAN EVEN REUCE THE THE VALUE OF YOUR HOME ASWELL AS CAUSE SEVERE DAMAGE
CLAY AND CONCREETE TILES HAVE A LIMITED LIFE AND BECOME POROUS AS THE EFFECTS OF ACID RAIN, POLLUTION AND EVEN BIRD LIME EATS AWAY THE SEAL EROSION IS ALSO ACCLERATED WHEN WET TILES AND MOSS FREEZE AND THAW DURING THE UK'S WINTER MONTHS ALSO THE INCREASE WEIGHT WHEN MOSS IS WET ADDS FUTHER STRESS TO THE ROOF THERE IS A PRODUCT THAT CAN REDUCE ALL OF THIS INTERESTED EMAIL ME (email deleted)

Philipdayton from what you say that makes my 'Bold roll sandface concrete tile are really asbestos in disguise as they are covered in the stuff.

[/u]

roof claning by the pro's seal with acrylic spray with moss inhibitor search for
roof-coaters

It would.but you`d need a cherry picker to get above the ridge and blast down to the gutter :LOL: .....OMG my roof must be causing a sub prime devaluation of my house :rolleyes:

Moss has no place on a well kept roof. It chokes water channels on tiles and clogs joints on slated roofs . This can and does lead to ingress through back up and capillary. Have cured many an area of ingress on roofs by simply cleaning this off. It acts in the same way as a dirty cast iron skylight where water splills into roof space through blocked channels.

Corrie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back