roof cleaning (moss)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need to clean the moss off my roof ( already got the necessary access equipment)
dont want to pressure wash as thats supposed to be potentially damaging to the tiles.

Wondering if using a wire brush is okay or is that also likely to damage the surface of the tiles, shortening their life span?

Sponsored Links
yes, it will.

You can mist it with Wet and Forget, if you want.

I think the other chemical is discontinued now.

if you spray it, it will die in hot dry weather, then wrinkle and eventually fall off.

I think scraping it will do more harm than good.

Respray it if it shows signs of growing again.

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate will just spray it and leave alone to be safe i reckon.

I noticed a fair amount of the granular tile grit coating in the gutters which i guess is from natural wear and tear.

By scraping or wire brushing/pressure washing i imagine the granular stuff is quickly striped away...

Out of interest just wondering what effect that has to the performance and life of the tile

Anyone know?

Neigbour had his scraped (not P washered as not good for roof tiles) and then washed over with Jeyes fluid which is apparently supposed to stop it returning so quick, it did work and has not returned like mine.

Cheers mate will just spray it and leave alone to be safe i reckon.

I noticed a fair amount of the granular tile grit coating in the gutters which i guess is from natural wear and tear.

By scraping or wire brushing/pressure washing i imagine the granular stuff is quickly striped away...

Out of interest just wondering what effect that has to the performance and life of the tile

Anyone know?

the tile is still waterproof as its made of solid concrete. im a roof cleaner by trade previously a roofer. Moss is a protected species so you are required to scrape the moss off first before spraying any chemicals you can do with a roof scraper wire brush and a blade to fit the profiles of your roof tile. I normally work from a scaffold tower but if you are a home owner you should do it from the safety of the ground using a long telescopic *pole. you want to spray a chemcial after scraping, the industry standard is biocide (BAC50)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back