what's the best way to clean moss from concrete tile roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be grateful of recommendations for the best way to clear moss from interlocking concrete tile roof.
Do i scrape it?
Wire brush?
Pressure Wash it????

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why bother?

It will fall off when ready.
Pressure washing is likely to create more problems than it solves

I did hear-read or using copper strip on the ridge to create a copper heavy rainfall that prevented moss?
Someone I knew watered her paths with washing powder to kill moss- apparently it worked

Thanks for the reply. "Why bother" is a good question... i assumed that it was not a good thing to leave it covered in moss, but it is only an assumption...

If you do leave it, then fit gutter guards to prevent dead moss from accumulating in the gutters and down-pipes.

Sponsored Links
Scrape the moss off then use a fungicidal wash which helps kill the spores, dont use a pressure washer on concrete tiles.
Then repeat in a couple of years.

I use a broad paint scraper on a long length of dowel......don't wire brush but a nylon one works ok.
Copper strip does work but costs a bomb, and is only successful on a couple of rows, I've found.
John :)

Scrape the moss off then use a fungicidal wash which helps kill the spores, dont use a pressure washer on concrete tiles.
Then repeat in a couple of years.

Probably cheaper and less hassle to switch to clay tiles, if a roof is that precious.

Dont know about precious but the moss from my roof goes all over my drive and path if i dont remove it.

Power washing can damage the surface of your tiles allowing moss to take root again.
Soft wash is the best option although it takes a bit of time to see the results, I did a job once at a house that had a tiled roof that was spotless while the neighbors roofs which were built at the same time had varying degrees of moss on them.
I asked the owner of the house did he get his roof power washed, he said no, he said he paid his window cleaner to spray his roof using one of those backpack pressure sprayers which meant he could reach the ridge of the roof without getting of his ladder.
The anti-moss solution was mixed with a type of foam to help it stick to the roof which allowed the solution time to kill the moss roots ,once the moss died the roots which kept it anchored to the roof shriveled and because it was on a pitched roof gravity did the rest.
The result was a spotless roof with no damage to the surface covering of the tiles. The owner of the house got this done every year,it only took the window cleaner about 20minutes each side and cost a fraction of power washing and no mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back