moss on roof

Its a bad idea and will damage the tiles making them even more porous and therefore even more suceptible to moss in future. Same goes for power washing, all the tile mftrs will tell you not to do this but all the powerwashing companies will say its fine.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if a strip of that copper tape used for lightening conductors would do the trick?

Its a bad idea and will damage the tiles making them even more porous and therefore even more suceptible to moss in future. Same goes for power washing, all the tile mftrs will tell you not to do this but all the powerwashing companies will say its fine.

I did wonder about that,how she got talked into I'll never know.

Why do you want to rid your roof of the moss Susie,is it causing a problem?

Hi Enyam...well it is bad and does look a bit of a mess, also as I mentioned it tends to come off in the heavy rain and block the guttering causing it to overflow, also the birds constantly pick bits off, presumably to find insects and its forever all over the steps and the patio.
My neighbour did completely scrape their roof by hand and it does look excellent but seemed to take forever, we live in a bungalow so its not too high. I think having read the answers, that it will be best to get the main lumpy bits off, then treat it with some moss killer, then put the copper pipe (or tape if that will work) to try and stop it coming back.

Sponsored Links
Bungalow roofs are easy to work on,set the roof ladder up, scrape of what you can reach with a trowel, use a long handled hoe to reach either side, you can cover a fair area from one position.
Give it a good brushing down as you go with a stiff broom.
Couple of coats of moss killer sprayed on, in my opinion its not that effective unless you want to spray it again every 2 or 3 years.

My neighbour did completely scrape their roof by hand and it does look excellent but seemed to take forever
Sadly it's the most effective way of doing it.
treat it with some moss killer
Have worked on many roofs and the feedback from clients quoting moss killer is not good for moss on roof but pathclear is better.
then put the copper pipe (or tape if that will work) to try and stop it coming back.
This is only a short term method.

Most common is the type of roof tiles, roof pitch angle and nearby trees. Certain older tiles starts to get pitted which give room for the moss to start creating. I leave the moss alone on my roof and just put in a bigger dia downpipe to stop the moss blockage at the top outlet, however i do sometime get on the roof to clean the skylight windows then I brush the moss off with a stiff broom. Forgot about pressure washing as it will be more pitted for the moss to grow on.
The only real way is new tiles but moss are harmless on roof

While NFRC is a dedicated roofing trade association that has been around for over 120 years we have never recognised the practice of moss removal or roof painting as a true roofing discipline. The reason being, in most instances, moss on roof tiles is rarely a problem and only needs to be removed if it is blocking gutters, outlets and other drainage points on the roof. Most ‘techniques’ that we have come across to remove moss, are often achieved by ‘violent’ means such as power-washing, which may cause damage to the roof, especially when combined with unnecessary foot traffic often leading to cracked or broken roof tiles.

Back in Liverpool the guy who lived behind me had his roof pressure jetted to get rid of moss and bird pooh. They did it while he was at work and when he came home it looked great. When he went indoors however the bedroom ceilings had come down because they had jetted from the top of a ladder up towards the ridge. Blew holes in the underlying roof felt so the water was pouring into his loft.
As he selected them from a flyer put through his letterbox he was unable to contact again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back