Killing Moss with Iron Sulphate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read the previous thread on the subject of Killing Moss in Lawns with Iron Sulphate.
I bought a box of the stuff from Wilkinsons and the instructions are for the spreading of the Iron Sulphate when feeding Ericatious Plants but nothing about Moss Killing.
Does anyone have any advice on the Concentration to use for Killing Moss in Lawns. Some advice I have had suggests 1-2 grms per sq Mtr, but this seems a very low concentration when the feeding concentration is 35 grm per square Mtr.
Also is it best to sprinkle the Iron Sulphate on the moss or disolve it in water before application.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy, that was a great link.
The link recommends finding and correcting the cause as opposed to treating the problem. However my problem is that about 12 inches down in my lawn is a solid Clay bed which is I think referrred t as Blue Clay. I t would be absolutely fantastic for a Potters wheel. The result is that the lawn is very wet throughput the Winter due to the lack of drainage and usually very dry during the summer due to the shallow depth of top soil and minimal moisture retention. This wet summer has resulted in more than usual Moss. In order to treat the couse would be to dig the lot out which is about 600 sq Mts. to a depth of about two feet, somhow install a drainage system so as the basin I would create will not just become a source of water retention but also I would have nowhere to drain thic trough into other than council storm drains and they wiil I fear object, So I have really the only option left is to treat the Moss and try to control it,
hence the concentration to use is the question?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back