Moss on Tarmac (Footpath outside the home)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It has been discussed in a few threads years ago, looking through them product recommendations seem to vary. While I thought of resurrecting one of those threads, I have checked the activity of some of the posters, and they seem to be inactive members.

So, the pathway outside the house has been affected by moss ever since we purchased the new build nearly 8 years ago. I have in the past used a stiff brush, but this is is very hard work and is affecting the surface.

I have seen Jeyes Fluid recommended in another post, but no real idea how effective it was, and also anything with Hypochlorite.

Does anyone have any up to date advice?

The pictures, because it is bright really don't show how bad it is.

Products considered are:

NO NONSENSE DISINFECTANT & CLEANER 5LTR

JEYES OUTDOOR CLEANER & DISINFECTANT 5LTR

or

DEOSAN RED LABEL HYPOCHLORITE - 20L

IMG_1872.JPEG

IMG_1873.JPEG

Sponsored Links
That looks like a public path so take care whatever you do.
(Apply after dark and wear a balaclava )

Moss Off, you do no more than spray it on and leave it alone, use it on my boat and it works a treat.

Sponsored Links
No idea what you looked for, I have posted about this a few times, e.g.

Basically, anything with benzalkonium chloride in it will work (such as Patio Magic or Wet & Forget). I have no idea if Moss Off uses this.

Any moss killer will kill the moss but will not remove the dead material.

NB Benzalkonium chloride goes by other names, see

Looks like a good excuse to spend a pleasant solo hour or so away from the missus/family with the pressure washer once or twice a year to me.

With the ubiquitous comments from passers-by of 'you missed a bit' and 'you can do mine next' and resisting the urge to pressure wash the skin off their face!

Looks awful and can make a house look shabby? Just my opinion of course.
Yeah, I guess it is a matter of opinion. I like green things, in general, and wouldn't go to any great effort to eradicate it [least of all back-breaking scrubbing].

Yeah, I guess it is a matter of opinion. I like green things, in general, and wouldn't go to any great effort to eradicate it [least of all back-breaking scrubbing].
If you saw the Ivy growing over our brick walls from the neighbour then you might change your mind!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back