Which moss killer for patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I've got an L shaped concrete patio about 22 foot long by about 6 foot wide, and the shorter right angled bit is about 14 foot long by about 4 foot wide.

I've just spent a couple of days scraping up a carpet of green moss and then jetwashed it. It's now much brighter and as clean as I can get it.

It's been recommended to me to put moss killer down. I believe Patio Magic is meant to be very good. There's also some stuff that Screwfix have by Swarfega which is considerably less expensive. Will it do a good job?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/swarfega...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLa6pIqX09oCFchj0wodIVsFXA

Sponsored Links
If there's no moss now there's no point in putting down mosskiller. If you cut back overhanging vegetation and try to sweep the patio every so often it will help keep the moss away.

Sounds good to me. There's no overhanging vegetation. I'll try and keep it swept.

I noticed that water has been dripping from above the patio from my neighbour's toilet cistern overflow pipe which is about to be fixed. The water has been soaking a large area of my patio, probably for a long time and I hadn't been out in my garden for months, so I assumed that was contributing to the moss. I'm assuming it's called moss, it was a carpet of green stuff.

If it does return, will that Swarfega cleaner be good?

Don't know if it's any good.

Soda crystals work, and they're cheap, about £1 a kilo

Sponsored Links
If there is no moss then no need for moss killer. If you need a general weed killer or need to prevent the moss from growing back, salt will prevent most plants growing. Either cheap bags from the supermarket or rock salt used for roads. It will kill grass so be careful of any 'run off' when it rains.

Thanks for the replies guys, all noted. I do like the salt one, will try that if it returns. Fortunately all the dripping has stopped as the overflow pipe has now been fixed, needed a new diaphragm/washer. I've also got a bit of glyphosate left as a general weed killer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back