Moss Remover for Car Drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a modern block drive with "random" brick settings. A lot of the original sand filled joints
are now filled with moss! Have tried to remove this manually but it's a large area.
Would appreciate suggestions on the best (electric ?) gear to do the job.
I have a fairly old Karcher 411 Power Washer, wondering maybe about attachments?

Sponsored Links
I have seen a device that is half strimmer, lawn edger and half angle grinder with wire brush.
You could possibly fit a (brass) wire brush to an angle grinder as a test?

weed killer for moss may help? A person I worked with swore that washing powder works on moss? Be careful in case it becomes slimy

pressure washers are good but do wash out the sand so you have to add dry sand on a dry day

Jeyes Fluid followed by a good stiff brushing down and gentle wash off (a pressure washer will wash the sand out) a few days later.

Ferrous Sulphate is the main ingredient in moss killer mixes in the sheds, might do what you want. Mix a solution into a watering can and sprinkle the solution all over the driveway, then wait a few days and brush it away.

Sponsored Links
Ferrous Sulphate is the main ingredient in moss killer mixes in the sheds, might do what you want. Mix a solution into a watering can and sprinkle the solution all over the driveway, then wait a few days and brush it away.
Ferrous sulphate stains paving a nasty orange colour.

I use a bottle of bleach in a large bucket of water and apply it with a yard brush. Its fine for getting moss off the paving but it isn't going to do much for moss growing in the sand between the blocks.

But it leaves a rusty looking stain, which would show on the blocks in the way it doesn't on the lawn.

Nozzle

Ferrous Sulphate is the main ingredient in moss killer mixes in the sheds
In lawn sand and such like products that is true. Those are intended to use on grass, not on hard surfaces because of the staining mentioned.

For hard surfaces sheds (and other places) sell things like Patio Magic (Wet & Forget, etc). These are c. 7-8% benzalkonium chloride that you dilute down to 1-2% and apply by spray / watering can.

I have a rather tatty tarmac front yard and I treat it once a year which keeps the moss under control. Because of that I bought 5L of 50% benzalkonium chloride and that has lasted me years.

I have no idea of a powered tool to clear out the existing moss. If you kill it then it will turn brown & shrink but will still be there. Either way I think you need to clear it out manually, maybe with a patio weed brush.

I think refilling the joints with kiln dried sand may help by filling up the space and making less room for the moss. Thereafter a regular treatmeant with some chemical will probably keep it down.

Apparently, biological washing powder works well. Just brush it in, leave it a little, then hose it. Don't use a pressure washer as the poiting takes a hammering and it is counterproductive in the long run (unless you repoint).

A patio weed brush then brush over with kiln dried sand, it fills the gaps, inhibits weed growth, and smartens up the surface generally.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back