Most common problems causing breakdown or failure to start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to avoid getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. Since I buy used cars, this probably will happen to me at some point.

Could anyone point me in the general direction of problems I should be learning how to fix? I'm really only looking for the big ones that any mechanic would check for first. I'd like to avoid any of the extraordinarily obscure possibilities that only account for a small percentage of problems.

P.S.: I already have a general, basic idea of how a car functions (e.g. I know what a distributor does, how the camshaft regulates the engine's valves, etc.), though I don't have any hands-on experience. Also, MacGyverisms and other innovative fixes would be appreciated as well... for entertainment if absolutely nothing else. :)

Sponsored Links
Oooooo, you're in the states.......... do they have any breakdown cover membership clubs over there? :confused:

Other than that, carry spare spark plug leads, distributor cap, rotor, spark plug, drive belts, light bulbs etc in the boot (trunk?!) and a few tools.

They do have the AA in the U.S. However, what good is someone from Alcoholics Anonymous when you have a breakdown?

Cuddles McKitten said:
Most common problems causing breakdown or failure to start?

Lack of routine maintenance. Have a look in the workshop manual.

Sponsored Links
Stivino said:
They do have the AA in the U.S. However, what good is someone from Alcoholics Anonymous when you have a breakdown?

If your breakdown is drink related, then the AA would be the ideal people to help you.

Agreed, they wont be able to do f**k all if your car breaks though

^neo^ said:
Agreed, they wont be able to do f**k all if your car breaks though

Nope - but they'll be your best mate until they've drunk the contents of the radiator ;)

Back