VW Golf starting problems...help!!!

Sponsored Links
I was reading this and wanted to start a new topic.....I must have used Post Reply instead of new topic. :oops:

Hi guys,

I know this thread is a few years old, but been having a problem very similar with my car for the past few years. Again, it only seems to occur during the summer ie July/August. It could be just coincidence or an annual event ! . It will randomly not start up, and could take all day like it could take 15 minutes. The glow plug warning light comes on, and recently the emissions warning too. With the AA giving the fault code P0726, I changed the crankshaft sensor July 2010. In July 2011 same again, so changed the crankshaft sensor again. Had the battery replaced too at some point. Last year I had the EGR valve cleaned. Just the other week I had the 109 relay changed, but I am still left with this problem. Been on other forums to try and get help, but think everyone's giving up on me ! A few weeks ago I went back to VW and after diagnosing my car, told me it was two things.. crankshaft sensor ( again!) and some other sensor to do with the gearbox I think. I was concentrating too much on figures he was quoting.
My car is a Golf automatic TDI. 1,9. Reg is 53 but says final edition 04.
Any help from anyone would be a blessing. My car is ten years old but too good to get rid off. Thank you guys,

Sponsored Links
Get a small independent garage to plug the car in and read the fault codes. Also ask them to check the connections going to the crankshaft sensor for corrosion. If they cannot check the sensor for you (resistance check, depending on the type of sensor fitted) price a new sensor along with the gearbox sensor if this it comes up as a fault.

Then ask them cost of fitting the two sensors.

Crankshaft sensor should last longer than 12 months, unless there is another issue (oil or water ingress etc). But dirty bad corroded connections will show up a a faulty sensor.

Mursal,

Thank you so much for your help. I would of thought VW would have done that, or the bloke (independent garage) who has been dealing with my car the past millionth time, would have looked at that but will take your advice and try another garage. Maybe a fresh pair of eyes will be good. I really am not convinced that the two faults VW found are the heart of the problem. Thank you again and I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Back