VW Golf starting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My vw golf 94, match 3, will not start after standing for a day or so, the engine does half a crank and thats it, however all lights are bright and new batteries have been replaces several times.

When i push start the car it starts without any problems and for the rest of that day i can go to shop, work etc..and the car will start without any problems,

It is as if the battery has gone flat over night, but this isnt the case,

Any ideas?? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the battery when the car wont start to see if it is in fact fully charged, something could be discharging it while its been standing. Check the battery voltage after it fails to start, should read slightly over 12 volts, if its under you have an electrical problem.

Do the lights dim or go out when you engage the starter, if not you have either a faulty starter or a wiring problem.

Ignition switch.
Next time it does it, hold the key in the start position and wiggle it.

Sponsored Links
I have charged 2 batteries up and have tried both. The problem still occurs, I have managed to clean the earthing straps and made sure they all were connected well. I have also check the voltage before and after starting the car after a night and it is over 12V before and after. So its not dishcarging over night.

Yet again after driving and letting it stand for an hour is starts first time as if its brand new, just not when sat over night.

The lights also dim when trying to start the car and so does the lights on the dashboard

Could it be a relay? or starter solenoid? If so how would you check to see if they are faulty?

If the lights / dash lamps are dimming when you try to start up, this indicates a heavy current draw. I'd suspect the starter motor itself. Check the heavy cable connection to it first.
Ignition switches are well known for packing up on these cars, but in that case nothing happens when you turn the key. John :)

Sounds like a faulty starter motor, if the lights are dimming but you are sure the battery is good the starter must be drawing excessive current.
Have you checked the battery negative lead where its bolted to the engine?

Alright ok, Is there anyway of checking the starter motor without removing it from the car?

How difficult is it to remove and to get hold of a new starter motor?

All connections have been check and are all been cleaned up to make a good contact point.

The confusing part is the fact it starts without any trouble when parking up for an hour or so, and when stalled.

In your first post, you said that the car cranks for half a rev. or so.....this is when demands on the starter are at their highest. After that, the engine oil is thinner and makes things easier to spin. I do think you need a new starter, and your choice is either a breakers yard - where you could strike lucky - or a reconditioned one from the likes of Eurocarparts or GSF - or another factors. Mind you, its dead easy to be smug on the end of a P.C!
There's not really any way of checking the starter on the car, so long as the small terminal on the solenoid is receiving 12v every time you turn the key. Even on the bench, you can't duplicate the loads that the starter has to deal with.
Do you feel lucky? This is a .44 magnum talking :D
Best wishes John :)

The only check you can make, again assuming the battery is good, is to measure the battery voltage while you are trying to start it, if the starter load is normal the voltage should drop to around 8 or 9 volts while cranking, if it drops to 6 or less the starter is demanding an abnormal ammount of current.

Sponsored Links
Back