Most reliable a hot water cylinder timer (fed from system boiler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have one of these and it keep resetting (and since it us under the house it is driving me mad as I bump my head reprogramming it and my family moans there is no hotwater)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-7-day-digital-immersion-timer/1804r

I assumed it was faulty so swapped it out for the exact same unit.. Same fault/issue?

What would be the most reliable (either old school or even a cool remote system). There is a stat on the tank already.

Everything else works fine

the rads are controlled by https://salus-controls.com/uk/product/rt520rf/

but this seems to be setup to control only one chanel (the Rads) and from looking at the menu doesn't seem like it could be expanded easily to do the water as well.

and the underfloor heating in the extension by a Heatmiser system.. I am going to investigate if this could be expanded to control the hot water as well.. is this a good idea?

I found this interesting and was tempted to post in that thread would that have been incorrect forum etiquette?

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hot-water-constantly-on-or-on-a-timer.489416/

thanks Michael

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What do you mean?

Simply... my timer (despite having a battery backup and uninterrupted power) keeps reseting ..

Why do you have an immersion heater timer, on a cylinder that is heated by a gas boiler?

Good question and one I have asked... so basically I am asking what should I have? what is the best timer/programer for this situation?

thanks JohnD

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
is your house all electric, or do you have a conventional boiler?

Conventional system boiler with a very insulated cylinder..
thanks

PS I have edited this post as I stupidly originally misnamed the cylinder a tank :(

Last edited:
Conventional system boiler with a very insulated tank..
thanks

Then why is the system boiler not heating your hot water as well?

Having an immersion heater as a standby for the gas boiler, but you seem to be using an immersion heater for heating water - which makes no economic sense.

One faulty is unlucky, two faulty suggests some other issue entirely.
Yes I have worried about that, and you may be right, but since it works some of the time I can't myself imagine the 'other' issue. The timer surely isn't really more than a switch which is in series opening a Thermal Actuator and trigger a thermostat on so it can make calls on my gas boiler?

Then why is the system boiler not heating your hot water as well?

Sorry to not to be clear but it is... is it because the timer is labeled an IMMERSION timer the issue? Is it not just a switch with a timer attached?

thank you

Last edited:
is your house all electric, or do you have a conventional boiler?

Sorry not to be clear but it is a conventional boiler...

I assumed as my post says "Most reliable a hot water cylinder timer (fed from system boiler)" this was implied?

thank you

Ok let me ask another perhaps better question..

So instead of
"Most reliable a hot water cylinder timer (fed from system boiler)?"

Perhaps I should be asking

...with a system boiler what is the best way to be time specific about turning the hot water call on from the cylinder's thermostat?

thank you!

Last edited:
the thermostat on the Hot Water Cylinder (not tank) will only call for heat when the water is cold. This will typically be during and after running a bath or shower. Modern cylinders are very well insulated and lose little heat, but it is a bit more economical to heat them once or twice a day, rather than every time you turn on a tap to wash your hands. Some people leave them on all day.

The timer is fitted at the boiler, not with the cylinder.

Many people set the HW timer for half an hour before they get up in the morning, and half an hour before evening bathtime. A modern cylinder might take around half an hour to heat. The bigger it is, the less often it needs heating. What size and colour is yours?

Boilers are typically provided with timer/programmers to set the timings. it sounds like yours wasn't. This is a bit odd. The controls are normally fitted by a heating engineer. If you already have one, it may be fairly easy to fit a replacement, depending how the wiring is done. it sounds like your timer is connected in an unusual, and possibly incorrect way, so you might do best to get the person who installed or maintains it to do the job.

the thermostat on the Hot Water Cylinder (not tank) will only call for heat when the water is cold. This will typically be during and after running a bath or shower. Modern cylinders are very well insulated and lose little heat, but it is a bit more economical to heat them once or twice a day, rather than every time you turn on a tap to wash your hands. Some people leave them on all day.

Many people set the HW timer for half an hour before they get up in the morning, and half an hour before evening bathtime. A modern cylinder might take around half an hour to heat. The bigger it is, the less often it needs heating. What size and colour is yours?

Boilers are typically provided with timer/programmers to set the timings. it sounds like yours wasn't. This is a bit odd. The controls are normally fitted by a heating engineer. If you already have one, it may be fairly easy to fit a replacement, depending how the wiring is done.
]

sorry for calling my cylinder a tank...

Yes you 100% understand! I want to do exactly as you suggest re timings.. but the Salus RT520TX programmer/thermostat I have only controls the radiators.. and they have installed the simple timer to do the hot water. Is this wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back