Programmers for a Megaflow Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UPDATE: I can't find a way to delete my post but on reflection I think an economy 7 programmer will work but I will move to an analogue one which will hopefully be more straight forward for the tenants and will not lose the settings if the electricity cuts out.

Hi, I have a Heatrae Sadia Megaflow Mk5 hot water cylinder fitted in a flat that is rented out. It's a direct system (no boiler) and currently has a Newlec economy 7 timer switch fitted. The showers in the property are electric and the heaters are electric, wall mounted panel heaters. With the high costs of electricity I've advised my tenants to switch to a single rate tariff as the majority of consumption will be in peak hours (heaters, showers, oven, lights etc). Only hot water for the taps uses the Megaflo so it's not worth paying a higher rate for everything else just to get a cheaper rate to heat the water overnight.

Now the property is not on a dual tariff the economy 7 timer is confusing for the tenants and is limited in how often you can have it switched on and off. It also has no battery back up and the electricity has gone off a few times recently meaning the timer needs reprogramming, which my tenants have struggled with, so I need to keep visiting to set it again.

So I would like to change the timer. Either to a manual one or a digital one with a battery back up and NOT designed for economy 7. It's a dual tank so I'm thinking I will need two controls, as all the controls designed for dual tanks seem to be economy 7 ones (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Can anyone advise on a suitable timer / programmer? I'm struggling to know what to look for as I suspect most Megaflow cylinders are used with dual tariffs / economy 7. I did find this one below but the reviews are mixed. I'd rather pay a bit more for a good one that is easy to use and will last.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 311804View attachment 311805

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have the LAP above but slightly different in that it has a 1 and 2 hour boost and a permanent on/off override. It has the same daily 4 on/off programmes.
The Timeguard may be a better choice as it incorporates a ON/OFF switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back