Most reliable a hot water cylinder timer (fed from system boiler)

Sponsored Links
it sounds like it is installed wrong. I don't know how or why. Was he a beginner?

look for someone competent next time.

it sounds like it is installed wrong. I don't know how or why. Was he a beginner?

No two very experienced guys but the main bulk of it was done by them but at the end it was a younger guy who finish it of... The Underfloor heating is working great as are the radiators and the controls for both of them... it is simply the hot-water..

look for someone competent next time.

as much I appreicate the time you have taken..

Last edited:
Sorry not to be clear but it is a conventional boiler...

I assumed as my post says "Most reliable a hot water cylinder timer (fed from system boiler)" this was implied?

thank you

Well what you posted is the wrong item.

What you have posted is a timer for the electric emersion heater.

You need something similar to this,, there is other versions available, and it would connect to you 3 port valve if you have a Y plan, or 2 port valves if you have an s plan

https://www.screwfix.com/p/horstman...pMo7t-OpVRzInk5ExcRoC600QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sponsored Links
Thank you Sxturbo for correcting me..

I will investigate further ... but I am 99% it is a S-plan setup

But to check surely the https://salus-controls.com/uk/product/ep110/#downloads I posted above is a similar thing?

anyways the link you sent it great as there is a screwfix close to me

I want to minimise visits to my house at the moment so if I can buy a replacment and either do a simple substitution (do it myself) or have it waiting ready for the experts to install as quickly as possible that is preferable..

Last edited:
Boilers are typically provided with timer/programmers to set the timings. it sounds like yours wasn't. This is a bit odd. The controls are normally fitted by a heating engineer. If you already have one, it may be fairly easy to fit a replacement, depending how the wiring is done. it sounds like your timer is connected in an unusual, and possibly incorrect way, so you might do best to get the person who installed or maintains it to do the job.

This seems to be the issue (and this was the last bit to be done and it wasn't done by the main guys) ... and is is my suspicion from the start BUT what confuses me is it works some of the time? Which is confusing no? Is this possible with a mis-wired programer/timer.. ?

Thank you Sxturbo for correcting me..

I will investigate further ... but I am 99% it is a S-plan setup

But to check surely the https://salus-controls.com/uk/product/ep110/#downloads I posted above is a similar thing?

anyways the link you sent it great as there is a screwfix close to me

I want to minimise visits to my house at the moment so if I can buy a replacment and either do a simple substitution (do it myself) or have it waiting ready for the experts to install as quickly as possible that is preferable..

Yeah the salus is fine.

The salus will do one of the motorized valves.

And your room stat the other.

However the salus is only good if you have a programmable room stat (which I presume you have) Otherwise your heating will be on permanently

Yeah the salus is fine.

The salus will do one of the motorized valves.

And your room stat the other.

However the salus is only good if you have a programmable room stat (which I presume you have) Otherwise your heating will be on permanently

Thanks again.. I will order now..

I have a room stat combined with timer (a Salus 520) and the heating is fine.. it is just the water timing that is the issue.. and I also have a stat on the cylinder.. The flaky timer/programer (which is working this morning) seems to be wired to make or break what seems to be 230v.. I assumed it is 'making' a circuit which opens the motorized valve and allows the Cylinder stat to make a call on the boiler.

I am guessing there 'might' be a wiring issue so I def won't do it myself.. Though it does seem from looking at the Salus ep101 manual I could just replicate the way the current box is wired.

Up to this point I have only ever had combi boilers so this is new to me and clearly not my field of expertise..

I assumed it is 'making' a circuit which opens the motorized valve and allows the Cylinder stat to make a call on the boiler.
The cylinder stat opens the motorised valve, the valve makes the call to the boiler not the cyl stat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back