MOT Fail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a car is presented for an MOT with the front passenger seat belt plugged in otherwise the dash warning light and buzzer go off permanently would it fail? One for @Mottie.

Not my car but a hire car dropped off last week.

Sponsored Links
I know that a lot of rules don't make sense, but I thought that now any warning light in the dashboard would be a fail.
Pointless if you think of the passenger seatbelt or daylights which are not compulsory but throw an error when a bulb is blown.

Sponsored Links
:unsure: Passenger seatbelts being fitted are compulsory on vehicles from about the late sixties as well as daylights (daylight running lamps) on vehicles registered after March 1st 2018.

Last edited:
Surely the warnings would only sound if there was someone actually sitting in the passenger seat?
John :)

Surely the warnings would only sound if there was someone actually sitting in the passenger seat?
John :)
I'm assuming that's the problem. The little pressure pad on the seat has failed and it "thinks" there's someone permanently in it. Often a problem if you put a bag of shopping on the passenger seat.

I'm assuming that's the problem. The little pressure pad on the seat has failed and it "thinks" there's someone permanently in it. Often a problem if you put a bag of shopping on the passenger seat.
The passenger pressure pad on our Golf was playing up so I disconnected it under the seat.

Thanks for the extra stuff. Yes I suspect the seat sensor was faulty but as it was a rental I wasn't going to start investigating / trying to fix.

Sponsored Links
Back