Lights and MOTs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if a crack and small hole in the lens on my rear lights will cause my car to fail its MOT? All the lights are working, just the lens is slightly damaged at the bottom (slight altercation in a car park...) I have ordered a new light cluster but delivery could take upto two weeks and my MOT is due at the end of this week. I'm not sure whether to take it for its MOT anyway, or if doing so will cause it to fail in which case I'm better just waiting until the new light cluster arrives.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If its a red lens, then there must be no white light showing.....how about a dab of hot glue and a drop of touch up paint if the hole is tiny?
John :)

And if you don't mind me asking, what would be considered a small hole, as we don't have MOT over here. We have NCT (National Car Test) and I don't know anyone that had the courage to go in with a cracked lens ........ :) :)

Sponsored Links
Very much up to the discretion of the tester over here, but the reflectors musn't be obscured or compromised, the lenses must be the correct colour (i.e no fading with uv light, front or rear) no white light where red is intended and all lamps / reflectors must be secure....not taped on!
Indicators must have the appropriate lens or coloured bulb, and the correct flash rate.
John :)

It is possible to buy LED lamps which are the appropriate colour (red or amber) for the application. Fitting one of these before the test (OK, they ain't exactly cheap, but cheaper than an MOT fail) should get round the problem.

Cheers guys,

The hole is a little too big to attempt a patch up with glue - i'd say its about an inch square but its right at the bottom of the lens so away from the bulb itself (rear fog light). That said, from a low angle, you can see a little white light (I don't think you'd see any white sat in a car following me) being emitted. From what you've said, I think it would be touch and go, but I think it probably wouldn't be too difficult to justify failing it, so I think i'll just wait until the new light cluster arrives and hope it comes sooner than later.

Someone just said I could cover the hole with red insulation tape as a temporary fix - do you think that'd pass muster.

Best get my bike out for a few days..... and hope this rain stops!!

You can buy 3 colour packs of lens tape.

I punched a hole in my red light and patched it up with that stuff. My car passed every year at the toughest MOT centre in Peterborough.

Strangely enough though when an object fell off a passing vehicle and knocked off the outer curved front sidelight cover I was told by said MOT station I would have to replace the whole assembly even though it was just an aerodynamic cover.

The rest of the lens was perfectly ok with no sharp edges etc.

Yeah I was ****ed off.

Not a problem any more - the delivery estimate for the new light cluster was Oct 25th - Nov 5th. It arrived today - 3 days early!

If it fails now, it wont be because of the rear lights!!

Sponsored Links
Back