Motherboard Capacitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just fixed my dead VCR/DVD combo by replacing the two power capacitors, my wife has a PC that has started to switch off (not a proper shut down) as soon as some demand is called for, like when windows loads.

Having spent some time swapping power supplies, checking RAM, Virus scans, alternate hard drives etc. I decided that the motherboard is dieing.

I was just about to order some new gear when I thought I would remove it for one last very close inspection. LOL there they were, a row of five swelling capacitors all the same value (6.3V 3300uF).

Making sure I follow the good advice picked up in Audio/Visual about selection etc I have got replacements on order and digging out the soldering iron again. Here's to hoping that is all the problem is!

Sponsored Links
That's almost certainly the problem, those five will be on the CPU voltage regulator output.

You may find it very hard to remove them due to the area of the ground plane within the board. The best way to deal with it without a proper desoldering setup is to heat the solder and very gently rock the capacitor out, working from one side to the next. Then grab a stainless steel (very important, bare steel, nickel, brass, or similar materials will be soldered) pin and use it to clear the solder from the hole before fitting the new caps.

All done and PC working properly again.

I thought I would post about this because after checking all the other usual issues such as power supplies etc. Throwing the motherboard away may not always be necesary. For just a few pounds I have been able to restore the PC to full working order.

Sponsored Links
Back