Motion detection light switches?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem: kids leave lights on in loads of places.

I wanted to know if there was a motion sensor light switch?

If turned off, then always off.

Else if turned on and no motion for xx minutes, it turns off the lightning

I searched and can't find anything like this. But maybe I didn't know what to search for?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We have a problem: kids leave lights on in loads of places. I wanted to know if there was a motion sensor light switch? If turned off, then always off. Else if turned on and no motion for xx minutes, it turns off the lightning. I searched and can't find anything like this. But maybe I didn't know what to search for?
Search for 'PIR light switch' or 'motion sensor light switch' and you will find thousands. A Google search for "PIR Light Switch" (in quotes) gets about 150,000 hits.

However, if you decide to install them, be warned that it probably won't be long before they drive you mad!

Kind Regards, John

How about training the kids properly? I was never allowed to leave lights on.

Or search for "occupancy sensor" for more options.
I'll second John's suggestion that they'll drive you mad - I've removed the one that was fitted in the kitchen as it was "most annoying" and had little real benefit.

Sponsored Links
I have one in the hall, self contained idea was duel lights on power cut making stairs safer, and lights as we walk in so we can see light switch plugged into a socket above door for under stairs cupboard. And yes real pain, even where it is it is triggered when the hall light is on. Left because of safety feature, it is right by the consumer unit, but very distracting when it switches on.

Seen non battery backed in schools, collages, and work, and realised where the saying comes from "Many hand make light work" in a corridor work OK, but in a room we simply don't move enough, I would say if there is a chair in the room don't use PIR motion detectors. Today with LED lighting it costs so little to light a room why worry. Likely before PIR switch pays for its self kids will have left home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back