Motion Switch and Halogen Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a halogen light in my downstairs Loo (3 x 50w), and wanted to fit a motion switch so that it would turn on when the little kiddies walked in there. However from what I've heard most motion switches don't work with a halogen fitting.

Does anyone know if there is a motion switch that will work with such a fittings and how I can get around this problem.

Jeet

Sponsored Links
says who?

flood%20light%20blackExtended.jpg

above is a 500w halogen lamp with pir

So what do they mean when they say only suitable for incandscent lighting on not low voltage, halogen, energy saving or flourecent lighting?

Depending on what type of lamps you have. There are two types of halogen lamp in common use.

A 240 volt halogen lamp behaves in much the same way as a GLS lamp (ordinary light bulb), albeit with a higher start up current. To the switch they both look like resistive loads.
As a rule of thumb, selecting a switch capable of handling twice the rated wattage of the lamps should handle the start up current for 240 volt halogen lamps.

But a 12 volt halogen lamp is usually powered by either a transformer or a switch mode power supply. These present an inductive load that may damage the electronics in the switch.

Energy saving lamps often incorporate electronics in the lamp that again may damage a switch designed to handle resistive loads only.

Sponsored Links
TricklyT,

Thanks that's really helpful. It make it much clearer.

One further question so this means that with my 3x50w bulbs I need a switch capable of handling 300w load?

Jeet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back