motion or heat detectors

J

johnsville

Some alarm companies use either motion or heat detectors. One company says that heat detectors are better, and need to be hard wired, and that if a house has warm air heating a special detector is needed, which without doubt needs hard wiring.
Is this the case?
And which is the better detector, heat or motion?

The motion detectors can be wireless.

Sponsored Links
no thats a very odd comment!

heat detectors? sorry mate but heat detector measures the heat within a specific area (fixed temperature and rate of rise) as used on a fire alarm system.

i have never in all my years used a heat detector on a security system!!

what you have is the following;

magnetic door contacts for doors. windows
passive infra red detectors for volumetric detection (ie rooms)
dual technology type detectors, these use microwave and passive infra red sensors within one unit, (used within unstable environments)

yes these can be wireless

but heat detectors on a security systems???? never

Oasis

Perhaps the OP is referring, albeit without knowing, to PIRs on the basis how they work?

Perhaps the OP is referring, albeit without knowing, to PIRs on the basis how they work?

That sounds about right. One company said they are influenced by warm air heating, so a special hard wired unit is needed.

Sponsored Links
well mate that is aload of carp!

wireless pir sensors work the same way as hard wired ones!!!
(but the detection and sleep time varies on wireless ones)

we fit wireless PIR sensors (with galaxy control panels)
and we fit wired ones with the above panels, all work the same way!

so what is the company trying to sell you????

very curious, and how much?
contract length?
how much per month?
how much to have the kit fitted?

then we will see what it will cost you!

Oasis

PS
do not sign anything until you have read ALL THE SMALL PRINT!!!

Agreed with above.
Sounds like your chains being pulled.
Get the paperwork and come back to us.

The company rep said go wireless, then saw the warm air vents and said you need detectors that are not influenced by the warm air blown from the vents. This meant that hard wired detectors could only be used.

I think it was Banhams.

They will want to use DualTechs, combined PIR and Microwave unit, there are some wireless ones available, maybe they are just not on their list of parts they use, hence the wired option.

PIR's are affected by warm air heating, no doubt about it, DuialTcehs will be a much better option because the microwave cannot see the warm air like the PIR can, the microwave uses the doppler effect to establish that their is a moving target within the protected area, by anylising the reflected microwaves that are returned to the unit.

I won't type the whole explanation here, if you want to know how they work use Google. But in essence the guy is right, PIR's will give false alarms, no doubt about it. DualTechs will not.

They will want to use DualTechs, combined PIR and Microwave unit, there are some wireless ones available, maybe they are just not on their list of parts they use, hence the wired option.

PIR's are affected by warm air heating, no doubt about it, DuialTcehs will be a much better option because the microwave cannot see the warm air like the PIR can, the microwave uses the doppler effect to establish that their is a moving target within the protected area, by anylising the reflected microwaves that are returned to the unit.

I won't type the whole explanation here, if you want to know how they work use Google. But in essence the guy is right, PIR's will give false alarms, no doubt about it. DualTechs will not.

Thanks. Who makes wireless DualTechs? are they reliable? He said they were also pet proof.

Who said what are pet proof? Honeywell make a wireless pet immune DualTech, not sure about others, Bosch do a wireless DualTech not sure if it is Pet Immune, get googling or ask Banhams

I smell a Rep on commission.

OP what do you actually want the system to do?
Have you got pets?
Have you a forced air heating system?
Why was wireless mentioned over wired?

You must know who you had to do the quote.

I smell a Rep on commission.

OP what do you actually want the system to do?
Have you got pets?
Have you a forced air heating system?
Why was wireless mentioned over wired?

You must know who you had to do the quote.

The idea is have an effective alarm. One cat. Forced air heating. Hard wired was mentioned as the rep said DualTech was only hard wired.

Wrong for a start.

Perhaps he should have said the wireless we fit does not have Dual Tech capability.
If it is the company you named then their panel of choice cannot do Dual Tech Wireless. A slight difference there you may note.
Hence the comment a Rep chasing commission.

Get another quote or two.

DT really isnt the issue here anyway.
A quad pir will do almost as well as a DT in the situation you have, and still have pet capabilities.
Galaxy, Visonic, Castle, Risco to name a few.

You can mix and match with the true hybrid panels, have wired and wireless.
All can go to G2 for insurance, however G3 would have to be hard wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back