Motor running hot on Kidd boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have now had a new oil pump fitted to my Archie Kidd VHE boiler and so far so good. However I notice that, after running it for a while with the casing back on, the motor and oil pump are both too hot to touch, is this normal and is it likely to have been the cause of the oil pump failure (shaft is stiff to turn with a 'sticky' feel to it)?

The burner is an Inter 2011 with an AEG motor and Danfoss BFP21L3 pump. Everything else seems to be working OK. Of course the ambient temperature inside the casing is quite high to start with and the motor windings contribute 90W on top of that but what would be regarded as "normal"?

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Its a bit of a difficult one really, as there's little natural ventilation within a boiler cabinet at the best of times, and burners can run hot.
The stiff pump would make the motor run a little hotter, as would tight bearings within the motor itself.
So long as you can't fry chips on the thing and it doesn't smell electrically I wouldn't worry too much.
John :)

I've got a Kidd boiler. Mine kept going wrong, burner moter failing, gas valve solenoid failing, pump failing air, pressure switch, endless moter 3 times. I put a temperature logger on the blower moter & the case peaked at 130C. I kept telling Kidd but they didn't listen. so I fitted 20mm of brown foam insulation on the uninsulated boiler face. It now hasn't gone wrong once for the last 15 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back