Worcester danesmoor boiler problem

Thanks everybody for your replies. Because the boiler continues to work once started, and it is winter, I thought of maybe waiting for a warmer spell of weather, and for the shops to open, before doing anything. I am inclined to think it is the pump which is at fault - I can detect no movement in the motor bearings, but when the fan is rotated by hand, several points of resistance can be felt during each revolution. I presume this is the pump - if the bearing had failed surely I would feel more of a grating? When the boiler is warm, it readily starts on demand. It is only when it is completely cold that I have to turn the fan by hand to free it up a bit. The application of heat from a fan heater helps. Could it be the capacitor is breaking down? The motor tries to turn, but doesn't seem to have enough power to overcome the resistance referred to above. what are the symptoms of a failed capacitor?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
what are the symptoms of a failed capacitor?
Thanks

If the capacitor is failing the motor will buzz because it does not know which way to turn, clockwise or anti clock wise being an AC motor. The capacitor does exactly what you are doing when you turn the fan by hand, telling it which way to turn.

• Thanks
Reactions: cf1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back