Motorised valve clicking/ticking noise

r4w

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in my new home I have a couple of Danfoss hpa2 valves that I believe are used to separate the heating of the master bedroom with the rest of the house.
I have two Tado smart thermostat that are working with the system.
However, whenever I hear the Tado's relay switch off the heating as it reached the temperature (the boiler is from Ideal), the two valves starts to clicking/ticking until the boiler goes completely off.
I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should raise this with the builder.
Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Can you upload a video of the noise?
Might be spring mechanism or might just be thermal ticking. If both are doing it then may just be normal? Honeywell are the only valves I use.

It’s normal or a bomb. Evacuate the premises and call the bomb squad to be sure.
Good luck.

OMG, I'm calling the bomb squad right away! :D

Can you upload a video of the noise?
Might be spring mechanism or might just be thermal ticking. If both are doing it then may just be normal? Honeywell are the only valves I use.

You know builders, I didn't even know I was getting the valves... figure the brand.

I have taken a video yesterday morning:

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Faulty with that noise mate. Or explosion imminent.
I’ll get me tin hat

Is/they are definitely faulty?
Does the thermostat have anything to do with this?

Just asking as I have replaced the original Danfoss Thermostats with the Tado ones, however the heating works correctly until the temperature has been reached.

That's not right at all! I think a wiring issue... Reverse polarity? Sounds like motor is winding the wrong way :eek:

That's not right at all! I think a wiring issue... Reverse polarity? Sounds like motor is winding the wrong way :eek:

I'm surprised that whoever installed the system didn't notice this before but thank you @dilalio and @jeff the gasman, I'll report this to the builder to be checked.
I just hope they will not make a big noise that I have changed the thermostats.
Cheers

I'm surprised that whoever installed the system didn't notice this before but thank you @dilalio and @jeff the gasman, I'll report this to the builder to be checked.
I just hope they will not make a big noise that I have changed the thermostats.
Cheers
They more than likely will. Throw your hand in to save a possible bill.

Might be no bypass fitted and the pump is forcing the valves open on pump overrun, the valves use ac synchron motors so cant be wired reverse polarity.

Thanks, I didn't really think it was a such big issue, as everything is working normally when it's on.

Might be no bypass fitted and the pump is forcing the valves open on pump overrun, the valves use ac synchron motors so cant be wired reverse polarity.

I was stabbing in the dark a bit mate... hence the ? After my reverse polarity comment :D

Thank you all, I'm contacting the builder to have them both checked!

is your pump near the valves ? sounds more like a pump noise rather than a valve fault

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back