Tick tick noise from radiator. Not sure how to stop it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My bedroom radiator makes lound tick tick noise whenever heating is turned on and then it does it at intermittent intervals which match with the modulation happening on the boiler i.e. when boiler start firing up at higer pace making flow temperature to reach near cut off point and then start working on lower temperature again.

It's really difficult to diagnose the issue as I have held copper pipe with hand but tick tick noise still continues. Whole system is drained a few times for other work, inhibitor is added after last draining is done, air bleed valve is done and no air can be noticed on other radiators or Automatic air vents.

Please listen to the attached file (ignoring the background noise)

Any idea what can be causing it and further diagnosis or fix since it is affecting sleep

Sponsored Links
Is there a TRV fitted to it? Does changing the TRV setting, when there is the noise, stop the noise immediately and for a short while or longer?

Highly likely to be the radiator expanding slightly as the temperature of the steel increases. My bedroom rad does it, so I always know when the heating has come on.

Copper pipe expanding on floor boards/joists, or the plastic lugs that are on the radiator bracket are missing/broken.

Check behind the radiator to see if you can see them in place.

Andy

Sponsored Links
+1 with the the little plastic thingies on the bracket that always seem to split and disappear somewhere. When it starts to tic push the radiator towards the wall and see if it stops.

If not, then only other culprits are the rad metal expanding or metal pipes rubbing and that's either not fixable or harder to fix respectively.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back