Ticking radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a major ticking problem with two radiators in the bedroom which were replaced several years ago. The problem occurs early in the morning but can occur at other times when the radiator starts ticking when the hot water supply is turned on and off. This is a mjor headache if one is trying to get some sleep since the ticking will continue for up to 30 minutes.

The combi bolier (worcester 240) is serviced regularaly by British Gas and the system was recently treated to a powerflush. There is no air in the radiator......

Please can anybody shed some light on this problem..... :( [/b]

Sponsored Links
Obviously is expansion movement somewhere. Pipes rubbing wood, or the rad brackets themselves. Try to identify/isolate first by squirting with WD40, jamming screwdrivers in, etc, and come back.

And yet another BG Powerflush :LOL: :LOL: Pity they don`t cover little jobs like ticking rads :cry:

Thanks for the speedy repsonse.

I checked the pipes in between the woodwork and there was enough room for them to expand. However, I wrapped the pipes with some old rags just to make sure it was'nt expansion causing the problem. Any further ideas would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
This can be the pipework under the floorboards moving as it heats up and expands - perhaps pressing against a joist. The problem is made much more likely if a long straight pipe supplies the radiator, so the pipe jams between the building and it's two ends when it grows. If the rad stops the noise for a little while when you try to (carefully!) pull it upwards a few millimetres off its bracket, you've proved the point. You could put a dog leg in the pipe to allow it to expand. If it's creaking where it rests on a cut out in a joist you can put some pipe insulation or even two thick sheets of polythene between pipe and joist. if you enlarge the cut out you have to be careful to follow the guidelines in the building regs concerning size and location of cut outs in joists. If you're able to lift the floorboards you should be able to observe what's happening fairly easily. Sometimes the rad creaks on it's brackets. Some manufacturers supply small plastic clips that fit on the brackets, before the rad is hung to overcome this.

Hi Guys

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for their input. I have tried all the recommendations. However, the problem still remains. I have ensured that the pipes have ample room to expand but the noise still continues to haunt me. It seems to come from inside the radiator. Moving pipes about when the noise is generated does not help. I have even cut away some wood in the joist to allow for expansion but this has not resolved the problem. Any further input on this matter would be appreciated... :cry:

If it's not the pipes, then it's the brackets. Have they got the plastic bits where they touch the rads? Does the noise stop if you lift up the weight of the rad?

The radiators do not have any plastic clips attached between them and the bracket. I will try and place something (non-metal) between the bracket and radiator to see if this cures the problem. Furthermore, I will try (pipes allowing) and lift the radiator when the problem occurs.

Thanks for the input :D

Hi Guys/Girls

Sorry! It's me again going mad with a radiator ticking at night. I tried every feasible remedy in this forum but the bl**dy radiator keeps ticking. It's not the metal brackets since I have ruled them out by placing some pads between the bracket and radiator. I have even made room for the pipes under the floor board to expand. Any further suggestions would be welcomed before I get committed in an asylum!!!!! :LOL:
lol

ps. lifting the radiator does not resolve the problem

If its a standard (cheap) pressed steel radiator, then its possible that you have movement when heating between 2 parts of the pressed (not hard enough) steel, particularly if they are a few years old (corrosion), but I wouldn't rule it out with a relatively new one either. They are fairly inexpensive these days, put a new rad on.

I have noticed the following observations:

1. The radiator ticks when cold (heating off)
2. The radiator ticks even when the heat is on

Both 1 & 2 occur if the hot water supply is being utilised...

plum99 said:
I have noticed the following observations:

1. The radiator ticks when cold (heating off)
2. The radiator ticks even when the heat is on

Both 1 & 2 occur if the hot water supply is being utilised...

A ticking noise is due to expansion or contraction, no other reason. Of course, exactly what is doing the expansion or contraction is what you need to find out.

If the radiator is making that noise when it's cold, and not in the process of warming up, then it isn't the radiator.

The fact that the problem occurs when the HW is being used really really smacks of it being a pipe rubbing on a joist somewhere, and probably somewhere else.

Noises are easily transmitted though rigid copper pipe - the source may well not be the radiator, but just appear to be the radiator.

My reply to the last post: If this correct how would someone try and locate the problem? What process can one use?
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back