Ticking radiator

I've changed my feeble mind! I don't agree new rad, hope you haven't bought one! Didn't read what you said carefully enough. The problem occurs when you draw hot water. Therefore you look for which pipes get hot then to find where the problem is. You could cut out some copper pipe and replace with plastic, to take the stresses, but you have to watch how you do this, generally not within the first metre of pipe from the boiler and whatever else the boiler maker says. Also, the copper pipes usually provide earthing electrically. If so in this case, you mustn't compromise this (fix earthing clamps to the copper pipe and run earth cable along the plastic pipe run to the next bit of copper). If the new plastic pipe includes a 90 degree bend, then the isolation is most effective. As Slippy said,' noise travels'.

Sponsored Links
plum99 said:
My reply to the last post: If this correct how would someone try and locate the problem? What process can one use?
:rolleyes:

Your ears are the best tool. When the radiator is ticking, listen carefully in other rooms to see if you can find it.

But one sure way to resolve the problem is to wrap every single pipe every single time it runs through a slot in a joist or a hole in a floorboard. The really old fashioned felt "insulation" is pretty good for this.

Right folks! insulated all the pipes under the floorboard. Ensured there was sufficient space between the pipes and joists. Even insulated the pipes above the floorboard. However, this has not resolved the problem. It is hard to trace the problem!!!! Help

Sponsored Links
if it happens even with a cool rad, might it not be expansion noise from a pipe to the hot tap, that is being heard in the bedroom? And if it's connected with running the hot tap, could it be plastic waste or soil pipe clicking as it expands? mine does.

Isolate the rads by closing valves both ends. Drain & remove rads. Do they still tick? If so, follow Kev's advice!
If the pipes they were connected to still tick, carry on exposing pipework until you find the place where your hot water pipe(s) touch the rad pipes and separate them. Assuming you have an airing cupboard with hot water cylinder near the bathroom and bedroom, I'd check that location first, since that's usually where the greatest congestion of pipes is, so greatest risk of pipes touching.
Or cut the rad pipes and insert expansion bellows (not the metal concertina type, but the rubber type).
After that.......... I just don't know.

Right! removed the 2 ticking radiators. However, the pipes that were connected to one of the radiator is still making a noise. The pipes on the other radiator is quiet. i.e I had two separate radiators in the room which have now been removed. But the noise that was causing the ticking in the radiators continues on the pipes on one of the radiators.. If that makes any sense :rolleyes:

Glad there's some progress! Got to be on the route of the still ticking pipe, Is it both of them or just one? If you put back the quiet rad (having put some isolation e.g. a bit of rubber sheet, bit of cloth or lagging) on the wall brackets where they touch the rad, does the noise come back?

It was a big job taking both rad's out. I don't think placing one back (on the pipe that does not tick) would make much difference. Since I already had placed pieces of cloth between the rad bracket and radiator and all the pipes down were lagged.

However, the other pipes for the 2nd rad are still ticking away...

:oops: Any ideas guys?

If it was a mouse I am sure he would have left the house by now due to ta nervous breakdown!!!! lol :LOL:

Seriously, I will try and trace the ticking pipe work at the weekend and also concentrate on the h/w pipe. I assume the pipe that is ticking is the h/w pipe since its the only one that ticks when the h/w water is used....

ps. wat do i do when i have traced the h/w pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back