Ticking noise In radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I three years ago had a combi-boiler installed. In the las few months, the radiator in my bedroom has started making a rapid ticking noise that lasts about 3-5 seconds. This repeats every 15 mins or so. I have the central heating on at night at the moment and the boiler pressure is 1.4 bars? Any ideas what could be making this noise?

Sponsored Links
Probably thermal expansion. When the radiator or the pipes going to it get filled with hot water, they expand.

If they happen to be rubbing on a wall stud (or whatever) then you get slippage similar to earthquake movement. That is, the stress builds up until the pipe moves, then the stress builds up again until the pipe moves again. And, that keeps up until the pipe stops expanding.

You might not hear that same ticking as the radiator cools because the pipe might cool down slower than it heats up.

noise that lasts about 3-5 seconds. This repeats every 15 mins or so.
Not thermal expansion then. I suspect air in the system, perhaps sucked in upstream side of pump, which collects in the bedroom rad. Do you need to vent air from this rad from time to time?

I bleed the radiators in my house every 6 months as maintenance, not because the radiators necessarily need it. When the ticking noise first started, I bleed the radiator. It made no difference to the noise. If it makes any difference, this radiator is the last one in the circuit before the water goes back into the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Funny you should say that. Its an 30ish year old radiator and it has a basic radiator valve with no thermostat (which does not turn). It seems to have locked up. I've only tried to turn it with my hand, when I get home from work I'll try taking a spanner to it :evil:

this radiator is the last one in the circuit before the water goes back into the boiler.
In which case let's go with kev's suggestion - is the TRV on the flow or return connection?

I think its on flow (if flow means "on"). Hot water is definitely flowing through the radiator, and it's hot all over the radiator.

Its a return connection
In which case it's more than likely to be the TRV if it's an old one (i.e. not bi-directional). Might be best to replace the TRV with a new, bi-directional one, or just take the head off as a temporary measure.

Right, I've just noticed that the noise is running through ALL the radiators in the house, and its getting louder and the noise is happening for longer.

Right, I've just noticed that the noise is running through ALL the radiators in the house, and its getting louder and the noise is happening for longer.

Just reading through the forum and seem to have the same problems with my central heating system. The rads upstairs all tick and it is very frustrating. Did you manage to have the problem fixed.

Thanks in advance for your help

The thread was posted 6 years ago so you may not get a reply.

If you type in 'ticking radiator' in the search part of the forum, you should find some help there from previous problems and some remedies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back