Mould around window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Over the winter months I get lots of condensation around my windows, possibly because they are big and poorly ventilated and the metal frames conduct the cold from outside.

This in turn leads to mould forming all around the frames, but worst in the lower corners - see photo attached (one of six similar windows in my flat).

I'd like to refurbish and mould proof them, but am unsure as to the steps. I'm a DIY novice, however my plan was as follows:
- clean sill/edges and scrape out old mouldy caulk, and any rotten paint/plaster in corners
- fill any crevices in the corners with filler (or foam?) and leave to dry
- reseal edges with either anti mould caulk or bathroom sealant and leave to dry
- repaint sides and sill

Does that sound sensible or have I got it completely wrong? Any tips or recommendations welcome.

Thanks,
Ed

Attachments

• 20210329_154616.jpg
    20210329_154616.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 125
Sponsored Links
I think the outside is cladded with full height opaque glass panels with metal frames and the interior walls are metal framed stud walls with plasterboard mounted on top, about 10 inches depth, so there's probably some insulation in between. The sills are painted wooden planks.

Sponsored Links
Is the condensation appearing on the frames or on the reveals themselves?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back