Mould from condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few spots of mould have appeared around the house, our own fault for not opening the windows enough!

What is the best thing to paint on emulsion to cover and prevent the mould from coming back? (I know that heat and ventilation are the long term solution to the problem).

Also I have a section of old skirting board where the paint keeps blistering off in thin sections. I have sanded it right back and primed it but there must be something in the wood to prevent the top coat from remained bonded? It has started to blister for a second time after about 6 months.

Is there a product that can be used for both of the above problems?

I am thinking Zinsser B I N might be suitable?

Many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
I'm just wondering if the blistering skirting is anywhere near the mould spots?
Did the skirting feel damp when you stripped/painted it last time?

The reason being, there could be a small leak somewhere nearby which is then contributing to the moisture in the room and causing the mould as well. A long shot but I've come across this situation several times before.

If there is no leak, clean and kill the mould spores with a bleach and water solution, rinse well, allow to dry and then paint. The best paint for walls with mould problems is usually an acrylic eggshell (basically Kitchen and Bathroom paint in DIY stores), but primer, undercoat and topcoat for the wood should do the job provided the cause of the problem is addressed first.
Zinsser Bullseye 1 2 3 is the better, and easier to use, primer for mould and mildew but B I N can also be used.

The skirting board is in another area of the house and the rest of it does not appear to be suffering from any damp. The house is 100 years old and I think the skirting is original..

A friend suggested SBR could be used for both problems?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back